PDA

View Full Version : Please help us decide what to do in San Diego with 2 year old DD...

christymc33
07-05-2007, 11:24 PM
We are going to San Diego for two days with our 2 year old DD. We would like to go to two main attractions. Trying to decide between the San Diego Zoo, Legoland, Sea World, and the Wild Animal Park. Which two would be best at her age? Any advice on inexpensive places to stay, or ways to get discounts? Thanks so much!!

ged
07-05-2007, 11:38 PM
We moved to San Diego a little over a year ago and we go to the zoo most of the time. We've been to the Wild Animal Park once.

We have a pass for Sea World as well, but don't go as often. My DD (also 2) enjoys the shows to a degree, but it's a hassle to have to get into the seats and wait for the show to begin (esp. when the crowds are there and you have to be in the seats 20 minutes before the show even begins). Last time, we just stopped by the interative dolphin pool and watched the people play with the dolphins and didn't even go to any shows. She liked it just as well. Somes kids like the playground/play structures a lot.

We haven't been to Legoland yet, so I can't help you there.

I think you can get special passes for the Sea Word/Zoo/etc.

Not sure where you should stay...maybe someone else who knows the area better can help out.

bluestar2
07-06-2007, 12:48 AM
The Zoo is world-class.

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
We are visiting SD this summer and plan to do the zoo and Legoland. We'll be there longer so we may do other places but those are the top picks. I have heard great things about the Wild Animal Park but dh remembers not being able to do the cooler things when he was little (age restrictions for some attractions). But, I didn't see that on my 1st pass on their website. I have to do more research. :)
Beth

Piglet
07-06-2007, 10:27 AM
we went a few months ago and ds2 really enjoyed sea world and the zoo. we didn't even bother taking ghim to legoland (ds1 went with dh). it is very expensive and i was afraid he would be too short to go on many of the rides. ds1 and dh liked it, but didn't love it. seaworld was great - even if you don't do all the shows, the interactive displays are fun. the zoo is pretty awesome for all ages and not so commercial like the other attractions. for me, the place i loved, much to my surprise was the uss midway. it is a decommissioned aircraft carrier docked at the san diego harbour. it has fighter planes on the top and veterans that volunteer there and talk about what it is like to live on board and land/take-off planes, etc. it was my favourite part of the trip!

Tondi G
07-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Wild animal park is inland so it can be very hot and you ride a tram. The Zoo too can get hot and it's VERY hilly with lots of walking.

we liked Sea World a lot when DS was 2. We haven't been to Legoland yet but we are going this summer and plan on going to Sea World and Lego land with our 2 and 6 year old boys!

AS far as hotels... check out this site!

http://www.localwally.com/

I have been looking on Tripadvisor for current traveler reviews and I think we are going to attempt to book the Hilton San Diego Resort with Priceline. People seem to have been getting good rates right now. They just finished renovations on the hotel. Sounds like it has a decent pool area and being on Mission Bay there are walking paths and I think a park/playground area adjacent to the hotel!

If you are a AAA member check the westways magazine that comes from them... there are often good hotel rates for San Diego hotels!

Good Luck with your plans!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

gisele
07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
My husband and son (age 4) just came back from a trip to San Diego. They flew down this past Monday morning and returned Wed evening. They were at the zoo by 10am on Monday. They spent Monday at the zoo, Tuesday at the Wild Animal Park, and Wed with the rest of the zoo stuff they didn't see. They had a blast. I think 2 year olds are free. They have ticket packages to see both parks because the Wild Animal park is also owned by the Zoo. Check out the prices. Depending on how many people and days you'll spend there, you should also consider the membership. Because members get additional discounts you might better off with that. My husband and son got the membership for only $1 more than the cost of seeing the park for 3 days, plus got additional discounts on the sky tram, etc.

spencersmommy
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
You will have a blast! We go to SD a few times a year. Lots to do! The Zoo is awesome, go there for sure. Legoland, probably wait until she is older. We are going to Sea World next week. Haven't been there for a few years, but know the kids will love it. We are also going to the beach and Balboa Park. Check out the site: www.gocitykids.com to see what is happening when you are there. You can also read parent reviews and get suggestions by age group. We are going to see a fire truck exhibit that will be there next weekend. My boys love fire trucks! You will have a great time.

Hotels: try www.priceline.com, we always do that and stay at great places for cheap. Hotel Circle is a great location and has reasonably priced hotels, too. Not the fanciest, but decent. My sister lives in Mission Valley, so we stay with her.
HTH!

christymc33
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. I am going to print these threads, and go from there! Thanks so much everyone!

hillview
07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I vote for the zoo. I haven't been to the other places but the zoo is great!
/hillary

stonecali
07-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Kids under 3 are free at Legoland! My 2 year old loves it (we are local so we have season passes), especially the water park just for toddlers (and there are 2 big playgrounds). She is 34" tall, which means she can go on about 4-5 really tame rides and then there are 2-3 "Its a Small World" type boat rides that do not have a height limit.

You can buy Legoland day passes on ebay for $30 each - that is the best deal by far if you want to go there (adults are $57 each - that is outrageous!).

Tondi G
07-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Costco has a good deal on Legoland passes too I think

npace19147
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I think 2 is too young to really appreciate the wild animal park and it's not cheap. I would go to the zoo and save the wild animal park for when DD is older.