PDA

View Full Version : Boston Mama's...

pampamz
07-24-2007, 08:46 AM
I know this should go to the travel forum but there is no traffic there so...if any of you BBB'ers have any good Boston suggestions please advise!

We are looking for a family friendly suite-style hotel. Also, what areas would be best to stay in (downtown, or suburbs?). We will have a car but are also comfortable using transit. I have heard the Children's Museum and Duck Ponds are good choices to visit. What else?

DC are 5 & 2yo. We are travelling in August.

Thanks! I hope you Boston ladies see this before it gets moved...

wencit
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't live in Boston, but I'm planning a trip there later in the fall. So far, I've narrowed my hotel choices down to Doubletree Waltham, Residence Inn Woburn, Hyatt Summerfield Suites Burlington, and Quality Inn & Suites Lexington. Based on their descriptions online, I *believe* those hotels all have separate sleeping areas so you and DH don't have to go to sleep at 8PM with the kiddos (a high priority for us!). I chose those areas because they are somewhat close to where my SIL lives in Arlington. I heard that parking in the city can be expensive and driving is very confusing, so we're going to try to use the T as much as possible. Downtown is prohibitively expensive for us (suite rooms start at about $200+ per night, and we're staying for 10 nights, so we're trying to minimize hotel costs as much as possible).

As for what to do there, here are a couple threads I've bookmarked:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=365565&mesg_id=365565
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=344481&mesg_id=344481

HTH, and have a great trip

pampamz
07-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Thanks! I will check out these hotels. One that I saw on TripAdvisor was the Staybridge Suites in Burlington.

I don't know the surrounding area -- are these hotels close to Boston? Like a short drive to a T Station?

We are ALL ABOUT having a separate sleeping area for the DC!

Thanks for the help.

hillview
07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
You might check out the John Jefferies house. It is in Boston. Not super swanky but in beacon hill (great location) and many suites at a great price (for Boston). I have put family up here.
/hillary

pampamz
07-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Jefferies house is booked, unfortunately. That did come highly recommended for its location.

I would like to stay downtown but finding an affordable suite is proving tricky.

Thanks for the post!

wencit
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
According to my SIL, it will take 15-20 minutes to get to the closest T stop from Burlington or Lexington, longer for Woburn or Waltham. So I think we're looking closely at the Burlington area.

Thanks for the head's up on the Staybridge Suites! I will have to check them out. I also found out just now that there is a Candlewood Suites in Burlington, too. Off to do some more research...

It's funny, before I had DS, I didn't give suites a second thought! Now they are the only acceptable accommodation for us. Sheesh, how life changes!

cmdnewton
07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
My family stays at the Summerfield Suites in Waltham when they visit us. It's part of the Hyatt chain. They can then take the T from Riverside (Green line) into the city. A plus is the free breakfast. All of the suites have a full kitchen.

pampamz
07-26-2007, 07:47 AM
What about Cambridge? There is a DoubleTree Suite hotel there. Any feedback about this location?
Thanks!

AddiesMom
07-26-2007, 07:58 PM
There are actually 2. Hotel @ MIT is a Doubletree (but I think no Suites), very funky/trendy hotel inside! You would never know it is a Doubletree Hotel. Then there is the Doubletree on Soldiers Field Road in Boston which is right on the Cambridge line. The company I worked for was a vendor of both hotels, never been in the rooms but both have a good reputation.

Hotel @ MIT is probaby a little easier to get into Downtown, I don't think either of them is near a subway station.

ett
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM
>My family stays at the Summerfield Suites in Waltham when
>they visit us. It's part of the Hyatt chain. They can then
>take the T from Riverside (Green line) into the city. A plus
>is the free breakfast. All of the suites have a full
>kitchen.

Waltham is not that far from the T station. Depending on what part of Boston you want to go to, you can either drive to Alewife and take the Red Line or drive to Riverside and take the Green Line. However, just be aware that they are currently renovating the Riverside Line so the trains are not running on certain parts of the line. They have buses to shuttle you between the stops. Details are at this website:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_projects/?id=11907

pampamz
07-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Is Burlington a nice place to stay? It looks like that is where we are headed right now. We are ok with taking transit into the city for our sightseeing, vs. paying a small fortune for a downtown suite hotel.

Burlington or Waltham, that is the question...

AddiesMom
07-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Waltham is closer, plus less time in Rt 95/128 traffic.

wencit
07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Really? Gah, I guess I can't trust my SIL to point me in the right direction! x(

I found 4 major cities with suite hotels in them: Waltham, Lexington, Woburn, and Burlington. Put it simply, which one is the easiest & fastest to get to a T stop?

Thanks!

ett
07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
>Really? Gah, I guess I can't trust my SIL to point me in the
>right direction! x(
>
>I found 4 major cities with suite hotels in them: Waltham,
>Lexington, Woburn, and Burlington. Put it simply, which one
>is the easiest & fastest to get to a T stop?
>
>Thanks!

I just looked at your hotel locations from your earlier reply. The Lexington Quality Inn is closest to the Alewife T station (red line). Next would be the Waltham Doubletree. Woburn and Burlington are further.

wencit
07-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Thank you!

And my SIL is right in that Lexington & Waltham are about 15-20 minutes away from a T station? Even further for Woburn & Burlington, right? Just trying to gauge how long it will take us to drive.

Many thanks, I really appreciate your help.

AddiesMom
07-28-2007, 06:17 AM
The Riverside Green line T station is right below the Mass Pike on Rt 95. Waltham is the next few exits above the Mass Pike. I worked 2 more exits south of the T station and I could be at a meeting at the Doubletree in Waltham in 15 minutes.

Just an FYI... My company used to do deliveries hotels in Boston every morning and evening, 7 days a week. We would not do Burlington and Woburn since too far out of the way, but we did Waltham!

mominma
07-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Not so much information about hotels, but if you start your day early and wanted to drive into the City, the best parking rates in the Copley area are the Copley Garage - in before 9 and out before midnight for $18.

Burlington is a suburb North of the city. They have a big mall with a Rainforest Cafe and Cheesecake Factory as well as many other restaurants. Also, about a 1/2 hour north could get to the North Shore Beaches. Traffic on 128 can be tough, but there might also be activities in the area to do. If you wanted to spend each day in Boston, I am not sure I would stay there. If there are other places in MA, it might be a good choice.

Waltham is very close to the Alewife Red Line and Riverside stations as other mentioned.

Good luck with your choices.

When we go into Boston, my kids enjoy the Frog pond (and playground), swan boats, duck tours, Children's Museum, Aquarium, Museum of Science, etc.

If you stay outside the city, you might want to check out the Drumlin Farm in Concord, Davis Farmland in Berlin (little further out), Discovery Museum in Acton.

Good Luck with your choices.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
It's a GIRL 8/30/05

wencit
07-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks, Michelle. I didn't realize Burlington was so far out of the way.

ett
07-28-2007, 10:07 PM
>Thank you!
>
>And my SIL is right in that Lexington & Waltham are about
>15-20 minutes away from a T station? Even further for Woburn
>& Burlington, right? Just trying to gauge how long it will
>take us to drive.
>
>Many thanks, I really appreciate your help.

Yes, Lexington and Waltham are about 15-20 minutes from a T station.

pastrygirl
07-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Dittoing the others who said Waltham and Lexington are better/closer choices. I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay in Burlington or Woburn for a Boston trip -- they're very out of the way. I used to live in Waltham and it was a 10-minute drive into Boston. You can drive to the Alewife T station and park all day in a huge garage. (I don't know what the rate is now, but it used to be $2 to park all day.) Lexington would be a better choice for driving to Alewife.

The green line (Riverside station) is S-L-O-W. I'd choose the Red line over it any day, even if you stay in Waltham. You might have more stops, but it moves so much more quickly. I always got out at MGH or Park Street (the first two stops once you're over the river in Boston) and walked around from there.

ETA: I forgot to answer about stuff to see! I don't go into Boston much now that I have a baby, but pre-baby I always loved walking through Boston Common and the Public Garden, going on the Swan boats, a Duck Tour (though I probably wouldn't take small children since you can't use carseats), window shopping down Newbury Street, going to the North End for some yummy Italian food and desserts... Once my son is more active, I don't know if he'd find any of that fun, though!

Cristina
mom to Toby, 6/10/06

trales
07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
You can park at the seaport (prospect street exit of 93) for $10 all day everyday. The Silver line goes there. It is right next to the World Trade Center and ICA. It is a 7-10 minute walk from the National Park Visitors Center and Quincy Market. I park with DD every Friday and walk around downtown, take the T to Lord and Taylor etc. and them meet DH at his office near Government Center for dinner.

The Red line goes to MIT.

You can go the Aquarium, the Science Museum, walk the Freedom Trail, the Frog Pond, or tour the USS Constitution.

FYI - Not all T stops have handicapped access. Hard for a stroller. The green line is a particular nightmare.

doberbrat
07-30-2007, 11:38 AM
there is a bus that goes VERY close to the Waltham hotels Its the 70A and goes to the red line (blanking on the name atm) its kinda a long ride 30min? but its doable.

the newton green line is minutes away (except during rush hour) 3 exits on the highway and boom you're there and there is parking at that location that is reasonably priced.

There's also an express bus that goes from Waltham to downtown (I think) I know there's an express bus - not sure where it goes. There are several express busses that run from Watertown to downtown. From that area of Waltham to the Watertown depot is about 10-15min drive.

There's even a decent park/playground near the Waltham hotels. You prob have to drive (I dont think there are sidewalks and its a super busy road) but its technically walkign 'distance'.

dont stay in Woburn or Burlington. the traffic is a nightmare :-)

you can also check w/the hotel and see if they have a shuttle service to an area Tstation. many do I've heard.

mattytommymom
07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi,
I live in Newton, a suburb right outside of Boston, near Waltham. Just a heads-up - the D line of the Green T is under construction this summer and you have to take SLOW buses instead... I would advise you to stay where you could get to the Red line T which is much more efficient. Email with any questions!

pampamz
07-31-2007, 06:41 AM
>Hi,
>I live in Newton, a suburb right outside of Boston, near
>Waltham. Just a heads-up - the D line of the Green T is under
>construction this summer and you have to take SLOW buses
>instead... I would advise you to stay where you could get to
>the Red line T which is much more efficient. Email with any
>questions!

We had to go with Burlington, most other suite hotels were unavailable or did not have what we needed. I think we will make it work.

Wondering about trips into the City. Where should we go to park to take transit in from Burlington?

Also, we were going to take a scenic drive to the shore on the Sunday after we arrive. Should we instead drive into the City since I understand parking is cheaper then? Not sure what time the action starts there though...

Thanks! Great to have experts in the area we can bother with these questions!

doberbrat
07-31-2007, 10:05 AM
parking in the city is expensive. 20-30+ a day. I'd only park there if you're oging to do something downtown. Aquarium, Fanuel hall, MFA etc. From Burlington, I'd either drive downtown or drive to Alewife & take the train. the thing about the train is you pay $5 to park, then $1.50 per person per trip so depending on how many in your party, it might just make sense to drive all the way and park & have the flexibility of the car. It also depends on traffic and traveling times. traffic can be NASTY

if you want to take a scenic drive to the shore, you dont want to go to the city. You should go to Glaucester or Ipswich- (north) Glaucester has a really cute 'downtown' its a nice drive, lots of little shops, good eating places if you like seafood. Maybe 34-45min from Burlington? and its compact so its ok to take kids there - not a TON of walking kwim?

sorry for spelling errors nak!

pampamz
07-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Sorry, I meant for that to be two different questions -- we do plan on spending a day or two in the City and will take the train in. Will use the Alewife station for that then.

For the trip to the North Shore I was just wondering if I should do that on a Sunday or a Monday...I"m not making a lot of sense, as I type this it even sounds dumb to me!

Thanks for the tips re: shore destinations!

doberbrat
07-31-2007, 01:42 PM
hard call. On a Sunday, its going to be mobbed. on a Monday, way more relaxed and easier to park. but some of the street vendors prob wont be there and some of the shops might be closed (doubtful, but possible)

see what the weather is like and then decide :)

pampamz
08-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Thank you all who helped us out on this forum. We had a great trip despite some rainy days.

Gracias!