PDA

View Full Version : I wanna see SNOW!

JoyNChrist
07-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Okay, at 21 years old, I've never seen snow. I've lived in southwest Louisiana all my life, and my family never travelled much. And as my work as a translator placed me mainly in Latin America, the opportunity has never presented itself. The closest I've come was a few glimpses of snow-capped peaks when I was in Switzerland a few summers ago, but that's not enough. I want to play in it and throw snowballs and build snowpeople and go skiing and ice-skate on a real pond. And wear hats and scarves and mittens and all that cool stuff that I never get to use down here.

So, DH and I decided to postpone our anniversary vacation that we planned to take in August, and head North in January as a combination late anniversary/my birthday trip. I'm not sure where we want to go, although I know we'll want to stay in the States (or maybe Canada, if it doesn't turn out to be too much more expensive). So, any recommendations? We're looking for a resort-type place...maybe something all-inclusive? Definitely want to try skiing or snowboarding, but we don't need anything too advanced, since we're total amatuers. Someplace beautiful, romantic...I don't know, a spa would be nice...maybe a hot spring type area...I'm open to ideas.

Any suggestions? I don't want to take out a second mortgage to pay for it, but we do have a while to save up, so I'd like something really nice.

TIA!

pampamz
07-25-2007, 06:13 AM
I can give you some Canada suggestions for Winter...although they are not really "all inclusive" types:

Ottawa, ON -- lots to do in the Winter, can skate on the Rideau Canal, a great city (and the Nation's Capital);

Montreal, PQ -- another great city, and if you ski you can head to the mountains;

Banff, AB -- fabulous ski resort town in the heart of the Rocky Mountains.

trales
07-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Mt. Tremblant in Quebec.

www.tremblant.ca

The Balsams Dixville Notch, NH

www.thebalsams.com

Mt. washington Grand Hotel, White Mountains, NH
www.mtwashington.com

Unfortunatly, there is not guarantee to see snow in NE in January. You may have better luck out west if you want to see snow. You will have in on top of Mt. Washington and other ski resort mountains. The ones I listed above have a better than average chance of snow at elevation.

Have fun.

tiapam
08-05-2007, 11:52 PM
I think someone else has posted about this place in the past:

http://canoebay.com/index.html

We honeymooned in Montreal and Quebec City in July. I liked QC better. It is very European. We loved our hotel there:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d155626-Reviews-j2-Hotel_Dominion_1912-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

And I am dying to go here:

http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise/

Of the places I have gone skiing in Colorado, Breckinridge was my favorite.

Remember, sometimes the snow can get in the way of your trip. Delayed flights, bad roads, etc.

-Pam

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

StantonHyde
08-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Not that I want to let everybody in on the secret, but Salt Lake City has 11 world class ski resorts within 30 minutes of the airport!!! If you want all inclusive, hit Park City and if you really go all out, go to Deer Valley. Snowbird has a great spa but dining options are limited. You could stay in SLC but they are rebuilding downtown so the shopping is not good. Park City is fun and has great restaurants and a great shuttle bus system, cool shops plus great outlets. The snow will be plenty but not overwhelming. From the Park City Resort you can take the shuttle to Deer Valley or the Canyons (10 mins max to either one!) And you won't get interlodged by an avalanche! Sundance is way too expensive only 2 restaurants and crappy skiing.