PDA

View Full Version : Does American Airlines allow preboarding?

AddiesMom
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Does American Airlines allow preboarding? i hope so, flying alone with DD next week and need to install the carseat on the plane. TIA!

Momof3Labs
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
They haven't the few times I've flown them with kids, but I also think it depends on which airport you fly from.

hillview
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Not usually. If you have status you get to board earlier. Generally you can get someone to help you with stuff. I don't like preboarding anyway -- kiddos get restless.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

californiagirl
08-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Willful ignorance is very useful here. Stand near where the line is going to be. When they start to pre-board, go for it. If they complain, say "But I need extra time to install the carseat -- I was sure you'd want me to go early to keep from disturbing the other passengers." They rarely try to turn us back, and when United did, the passengers behind us were sufficiently ticked that the gate guy changed his mind.

Don't do what we did this last trip, which involved a knee injury and a lot of wheelchairs. Almost all the airlines preboarded us, and we got to ride an electric cart in an elevator. But it was so not worth it. (And Lufthansa did not manage to preboard us, much to the annoyance of the people who had to follow a 3-year old and a man on crutches down one flight of stairs and up another.)

deannanb
08-16-2007, 06:20 AM
I think it depends on where you are going - to a place where there are a bunch of kids on the plane... probably not...

we flew American from Dallas to Boston then return
Boston - New York LGA - Dallas

All legs of the trip we pre-boarded.
When they called for first class - we just started to walk up too. When you are walking with a child, carseat, stroller, and too many bags... they tend to let you go.

We did have to wait on our NY to Dallas flight simply because they were still cleaning the main cabin. they let all first class go... and we were told to just wait and we could go as soon as they were done cleaning.

HTH

Have a good trip

Jen841
08-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Ditto! Preboarding with my two is dangerous. They get so restless and flight delays made for a miserable experience. Get on near the end. People will help you and feel bad for you. Neither way, I never seem to have time to take a deep breath for myself until we pull away from the gate.