PDA

View Full Version : How do you give DC a bath when you're staying in a hotel?

wencit
08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
DS still uses the Eurotub, and I certainly don't want to lug that thing around with me cross-country! Do you buy a portable bathtub? I don't know if I want to shell out money for something that will get minimal use, since we very rarely travel. On the other hand, the thought of bathing DS directly into a hotel bathtub gives me the heebie jeebies. I know it gets cleaned and disinfected between guests, but I still have images of some newlyweds getting it on in there (sorry).

So, what do you all do? Thanks, mamas!

gisele
08-21-2007, 04:23 PM
We use an inflatable tub in a hotel room. It was about $10 at Target. My DS took a shower in hotel rooms once he was standing/walking well (closer to 2 years)

Bathing DS in the hotel tub directly also gives me the creeps.

Gena
08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
I have bathed my son in many, many hotel bathtubs without a problem. I usually have a travel back of Clorox wipes and if the tub looks questionable, I wipe it down first. When my son was an infant, Hubby or I would take a bath with him. After he was little over a year I started putting him directly in the tub with just a couple of inches of water.

We travel a lot to visit out of state family, so I had to get over my hotel bathtub squimishness rather quickly. In particular there was one trip when he was about 15 months when he both threw-up and had a major diaper blowout on the turnpike (and replaced our minivan's new car smell with - well, you know). When we arrived at the hotel the little guy went straight into the tub.

On the upside, my son is now 3 and will take a bath (and potty) anywhere.

Seriously, as long as it's a reputable hotel there's really nothing to worry about.

AddiesMom
08-22-2007, 04:55 AM
I got the blow-up tub from BRU, we use it at home and travel with it. I got a pump from target for less than $15 that plugs into the car lighter, also comes in handy for swimming toys.

I tried giving DD a bath at my parent's house with out it and she had a fit. She loves the inflatable tub and and to be honest, I use less water, it's faster to fill up than the big tub and keeps her from going all over place.

By the way, I stayed at a very nice hotel in Sonoma and there was hair all over the bottom of the tub... EEEKKKKK!!!!! You don't even want to know how often they wash the comforters and blankets!

tylersmama
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Now that DS is a little older, I just put him in the tub, but when he was smaller, I used the $3 bath sponge that they sell at BRU. It was a nice soft layer between him and the tub, was very squishable to stuff in suitcases, and was very cheap so I really didn't care what happened to it. :)

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
If I worried about every invisibly dirty surface in a hotel room I would never be able to stay there. So, I just figure that we'll be ok. :)

That said, I would go in with baby. We did that for a while even at home.

You could also take a shower with baby instead that way no one has to take a bath in there. It works for a lot of people I know.

Beth

Jen841
08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
What about putting a folded towel in the tub? We a small pool that would be great and portable for a child 1+. I had an inflatable tub liner I used for infants, but it would not be good for a toodler.

My kids have traveled a lot. Towels in tubs work great, as well as just using the sink. Many nights away, and we always make it work. You need so much gear with kids this is one less thing you may need to worry about.

Momof3Labs
08-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Showers. Both boys started taking them around 8-9 months old at home (with us, of course), and that's what we do on the road, too.

BTW, I seriously doubt that the tub is actually disinfected between guests. Cleaned, yes, usually. Disinfected, no.

AddiesMom
08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Just traveled this weekend, good thing I brought the blow-up tub. The Marriott Renaissance Inn we stayed at only had a huge shower, no tub!

Gena
08-30-2007, 02:52 PM
How strange. We're stayed at several Marriott-owned properties and always had a tub. Did you have a wheelchair accessable room maybe?

vonfirmath
11-22-2007, 01:57 AM
"but I still have images of some newlyweds getting it on in there (sorry)."

Hrms. Do you take baths in hotel bathtubs?

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about if some little kid had had a blow out in the tub (or yuck peed!) I am not going to be concerned about bathing my baby anywhere that I'm willing to bathe.

And if the tub is bad enough I don't want to bathe in, I'd give them a sponge bath at the sink and call it good.

wencit
11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Nope, I actually don't take baths in hotel bathtubs, only showers. Like I said, the idea just kind of skeeves me out.

I ended up buying an inflatable tub at BRU for $12, and it worked well on the first trip we took. On the second trip, we didn't even bother bringing the tub, and just had DS take a shower with me. MUCH easier, and DS didn't even protest as much as I thought he would. I think we'll be doing that on any subsequent trips we take, even though he still takes a bath at home.

Thanks to all the mamas here for the ideas! They were a huge help!