PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a location for family reunion in VA, WV, or MD

aidansmommy
08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Ladies,
I'm hoping to find some suggestions for a spot for my family's reunion next summer. We have family in New Jersey, Ohio, and North Carolina so I'm thinking somewhere in Virginia, West Virginia, or Maryland would be pretty centrally located. We'll have a huge range of ages, everyone from infants, preschoolers, young married couples, grandparents, and great grandparents so hopefully we could find a little something for everyone. We'd love to be either on/near the ocean, or maybe a mountain/lake resort where we could swim, fish, canoe, etc. Some sort of shopping, restaurants, kiddie park, golf nearby would be a plus. We'd like a place where we can either rent cabins, a large house (for about 25 people), or condos, villas, etc. with kitchens so we're not eating all meals out. We want something nice but not crazy expensive, I'm not sure of everyone's budgets.
If you have any suggestions I'd really really appreciate it. It's not easy finding one place to satisfy so many people! Thanks!

Heidi
Mommy to Aidan 11/03 and Amelia 12/06

Angelphyre
09-05-2007, 06:13 PM
our family used to get together every july 4th. Virigina Beach, Ocean City. went camping in Va Beach, family in NYC didn't like that. We rented a really nice beach house one block away from the beach near Ocean City. Plus it was a private beach. Only local residents in that area were allowed certain sections on the beach. It was great. Had a nice screened porch, not too far from the boardwalk. I think it was Indian beach. Ocean City is a real tourist attraction, I'd look for the beaches above or below. Family mostly drove down from NYC. We stayed in the same area 2 yrs in a row. HTH

crl
09-21-2007, 08:20 PM
The Washingtonian magazine tends to have a fair bit of weekend getaway type information about the area. I found an article on their website that describes different beaches.

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/travel/1859.html

I also have a vague memory of finding a West VA state park on a lake once some time ago (we decided to go elsewhere). You might check out West VA's state parks website.

HTH.

sharbev
09-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Not sure how centrally located this would be for everyone, but it is an amazing place for what you are describing. Deep Creek Lake, MD

It's in Garrett County at the end of the that thin strip of Maryland that cuts across PA, VA and WV. It is a lake community (skiing in winter) and has amazing houses and chalets for rent. We use Long and Foster but there are many rental companies and it's easy to see who has great new homes and who has the older ones.

It's in the mountains, the lake is endless and it's both relaxing and fun. And, by renting either one huge house or two side by side houses, the adults can still gather and spend time together after the little ones go to sleep.

Wherever you end up...have a great time!
~ shari