PDA

View Full Version : Big Island or Maui

Java
09-12-2007, 01:21 PM
I've been to Maui but never the Big Island. We're trying to plan a big vacation with 3-4 other families (my siblings) and the debate is which island to go to.

The kids' age ranges are from 18 yo to 19mo (my DD).

We've been to Kauai 4 times already (the older kids 6-7 times so they are bored of it), Oahu once, and Maui once but none of us have been to the Big Island. But I've read that the Big Island isn't as little kid friendly in terms of places to go and things to do (little kid meaning from age 6 yo and younger).

Any BTDT advice?

Thanks!

Tondi G
09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I heard the same thing too, that the Big Island isn't as Little Kid Friendly. Maui supposedly has the most child friendly swimming beaches and is recommended to Families more than any other island. The one cool thing about the Big Island (to me anyways) is Volcano National Park. I've heard that it is best to book a hotel room for at least a night cause seeing the lava flow at night is amazing.

When we were researching Hawaii I found this site and when I emailed a travel agent there she was SUPER helpful (having small children herself!)

http://family-vacations-hawaii.com/

They have lots of info on the site and reviews of hotels and such!

I guess since you've all been to Maui (and Kauai and oahu) I would probably say try the Big Island. You never know, you might find it's great for your family/children and LOVE it! Good Luck making your decision! I'm jealous.... I wish my family was planning a trip to Hawaii!!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

egoldber
09-13-2007, 09:34 AM
We took Sarah to the Big Island when she was 4. She had a great time. It would be better if she were a little older, but it was fine. A toddler wouldn't get much out of it, but they wouldn't most anywhere I think. We drove to several beaches that she really enjoyed. She also really liked the Volcano National Park, but again it would be better enjoyed by an older child. But since you go so frequently, you could just plan to go back again when the kids are older. :)

One thing to remember is that the Big Island, is well, big. If you stay in the Kailua-Kona area, its an all day drive to the National Park and back. I wish we had planned to spend one night on the Hilo side to better enjoy the park.

Java
09-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for your responses! My brother and sister both have timeshares that we're trying to deposit for our December trip. Trying to deposit 3 timeshares for the same week, on the same island, in the same vicinity is a major PITA, let me tell you! We've been trying since June and it just hasn't panned out. At this point DH told me to just book something - anything! - and let the other pieces fall into place.

Both my kids are part fish so I'm really looking for kid friendly beaches with lots of fish. DD will be 19.5 months old so she won't be snorkeling but DS will (4yo). My sister's 3 kids have never even been on a plane much less snorkeling (ages 6, 4, 3yo). They hardly ever go to the beach so it'll be an interesting, eye opening trip for them. My brother and his pack (ages 18, 16, 15, 13, 12yo - I know: YIKES!) go to Kauai almost every year but have never been on Maui.

I think I'm leaning towards Maui. I really want to do the Volcano Park when the kids are older and not so "can we go to the beach now? Can we go swimming? Can we? Can we??"