PDA

View Full Version : Cancun: Is it a baby friendly place?

kusumat
09-14-2007, 02:07 PM
My DD is now 15 months. DH would like to go to Cancun for vacation at beginning of November. We have never been there. I have no ideas what it is like over there. Is it easy to find organic milk, food? Safety? Things to do?

niccig
09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
We went to an island off Cancun, Isla Mujeres, with DS when he was just over 2. That is one family friendly place. We stayed in condos at North Beach, there was a pool, beach there, could walk into town for restaurants, hire golf carts to drive around the island (very small island), and even swam with the dolphins at the aquarium (DS did go in with the dolphin, but the water was very cold and he didn't enjoy it, but I loved the adult swim that I did). Initially I thought it would be a more difficult location (you have to take shuttle bus to ferry, 30 min ferry ride, then taxi to hotel), but it was really easy. We had 2 scuba bags in addition to luggage, so we had a lot of stuff. Food wise, we ate at a lot of restaurants, and there's a big grocery store in town where I got bread/cereal/cheese/yoghurt etc. Most weren't not brands that I knew, and I'm fairly sure the milk wasn't organic. We plan to go back there with DS. I wasn't impressed with Cancun proper, and people who have stayed there said it's big resorts over and over again, someone said it's like the Las Vegas strip. But Isla, now that was one relaxed place..

perfectpair
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I would assume that if you avoid Cancun during "Spring Break," then it's probably just like any other beach with lots to see and do. I went to Padre one year in like May, and it was nice, quiet, and there were mostly older people there vacationing. Hope that helps.

klyama
01-21-2008, 01:40 AM
I've been to Cancun, but not with children. Personally, it's not my favorite place in Mexico. It's lots of resorts and heavy on the party/nightlife. It caters to tourism. I don't know what luck you'll have finding organic milk and/or health foods.