PDA

View Full Version : Sea World Hotel in CA

kransden
10-04-2007, 11:40 PM
We are going to Sea World in CA. Any hotel suggestions?
Any suggestions on what to do the next day for fun?
TIA
Karin and Katie 10/24/02

luvmypeanut
10-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Last New Years, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Islandia which is the closest to Sea World and wasn't impressed. Although it was not a pleasant stay for us as DH and the kids came down with the flu. I read that it is being renovated and will become the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina so maybe it's really nice now. I would call to see if the renovations are complete. There isn't much in the immediate area so I would stay in a different part of San Diego, maybe downtown. I'm sure members here will have good hotel recommendations.

Previous visits, we stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado which is fabulous. Right on the beach and the little town is adorable. I really felt like I was on vacation. I'd also like to try the Loews Coronado Bay Resort because that chain is known for being kid-friendly.

Also been to the Omni that is next to the baseball stadium and had a nice stay. When there is a game the traffic can get bad but other than that it is a great location. Easy walking to restaurants (is it called the gaslamp district?) and there is a Ralphs or some big grocery store a few streets down. I remember a really good fish and chips place right next door.

You could do the zoo and Balboa Park or the Wild Animal Park. Legoland is about an hour drive so it would be a day trip. We really liked Mission Bay Park because we needed a place for the kids to run around before getting on a plane. It has everything from beaches to kids play areas and picnic tables.

mom2binsd
10-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I lived in SD for 5 years and here is my 2 cents, well maybe 4 cents worth -

I second the idea not to stay at the hotel near Sea World-there isn't a lot to do close by, also if you're looking to walk along a beach I'd avoid Mission Beach(kinda seedy)- Coronado's beach is so much nicer, or head up to LaJolla Cove for beautiful views. If your budget allows the Hotel Del is my fav- I never tired of visiting the town of Coronado. Staying downtown (the restaurant and nightlife area is known as the Gaslamp District) gives you lots of options, the trolley is safe if you need to take it, and for the most part walking around almost anywhere min SD is safe. A visit to the Zoo is always fun, the terrain is hilly so wear comfy shoes. The Wild Animal Park is also fun, but a good 45 min drive north (that's if you don't hit dreaded southern cal traffic). There is a touristy area called Seaport Village on the bay in downtown, lots of cute shops, great views of the bay, restaurants, little bridges with ducks, lots of photo ops...there are a lot of hotels in Mission Valley, a price ranges, it is very popular because it is central to the beaches, downtown, the zoo...SD is a pretty small city really. LaJolla village is also really quaint and worth the drive, the cove is known for a colony of seals who sun themselves in a protected area..0h I'd certainly rent a car if you plan to do many things, the trolley can only take you so far and although the city is pretty small (except a trip up to LaJolla) it is really almost a necessity to rent a car for a day or two.

Am so jealous of your trip!

Tondi G
10-17-2007, 11:23 PM
check out this site and then double check the reviews on Tripadvisor.com

http://www.localwally.com/

I think the Marriott hotel and Marina is supposedly nice enough if you want to be near sea Port Village. Coronado is supposed to be great too. The Del is busy and expensive but beautiful.... but you can always stay elsewhere and visit the Del and Silver Strand beach the next day! I think I read the Marriott on Coronado is decent too (I think they just completed renovations too??)

Legoland is another option for something to do besides Sea World... it's about 30 minutes north of San Diego. You might consider staying up in Carlsbad too.... this place gets great reviews on Trip Advisor and seems very family friendly!

http://www.westinnandsuites.com/

Have a fun trip!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05