PDA

View Full Version : Mexico :Cancun travel w/ 9m old

TravelMom
10-18-2007, 01:02 PM
HELP! Any advice for me on our trip to Mexico w/ a 9m old? she has flown a few times and is GREAT! We are still nursing so that really helps...=)
A few things in particular but any other advice would be much appreciated:
Essentials to pack? Baby food or can I buy? I usually make my own, and assume I can peel mangos, bananas and papaya and be safe?
Water - what should I buy for Baby? bottled or distilled?
Diapers - do they have the same brands or should I take my own?
Stroller - researching Maclaren since it appears to be the most sturdy? any other recommendations? I thought the full recline on the Quest would be really nice....
Carseat? We will be using the bus for most everyday travel....
Should I take a cabana or beach tent? Any recos?
What else am I missing? We have reserved a crib but are still contemplating taking our PNP....
Thanks!!!!

AddiesMom
10-19-2007, 05:25 AM
I can't answer everyting but here is my 2 cents....

Baby food- When DD was younger I packed the Gerber 2-packs that are plastic containers. Don't add a lot of weight to the luggage and diaper bag.
Diapers- I always pack my own, doesn't add a lot of weight to suitcase, plus now you have room in the suitcase for what you buy
Stroller- I have the Mac Techno that has the full recline. Quest is partial. I actually wished I had the Quest since it weighs less
Carseat- does DC have a seat on the plane? I bought a Cosco Scenera for plane rides and airport shuttle rides.
Hotel crib- call the hotel directly, many hotels (Marriott, Hilton, etc) are switching to PNP's. I just bring my own sheet.

TravelMom
10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Thank you! I was just going to do the infant in arms - and not do a seat (I know...a bit dangerous...) but I will look into the Scenera - that sounds good for future travel.
Any other thoughts on the TEchno vs. the Quest? I found a 2006 model Techno XLT for $100 off and am in a dilemma over which to choose -
Do you have any issues with the small wheels or canopy? Seems like these are the 2 biggest complaints.
Thanks so much for your help!

luvsviola
10-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I just did Disney with a 9 month old and was glad to have my P3. The snack tray was really handy, as was the HUGE canopy. Macs don't have nearly as good of sun protection.

Also, you might look into a good carrier like Ergo or Beco. It was a lifesaver on the airport and shopping in small spaces.

For infant in arms--we just did it and the worst part was that she did NOT want to sit quietly in my lap. She wanted DOWN a lot of the time. I tried to buy her seats at the last minute, but every flight was overbooked. Needless to say, I wouldn't ever do it this way again.

jjjo1112
11-09-2007, 11:22 PM
We actually went to Cancun when my son was 9 months old. We went for a week. We did not bring a carseat. We did infant in arms on the plane and then a carseat isn't used on the bus/shuttle. We reserved a crib and brought our own sheet which worked out fine. I bought a combi-ithru for the trip and was really pleased with it, especially because the seat is reversible so you could really keep the baby out of the sun. I brought my own diapers and I packed my own baby food but they did sell gerber baby food in the hotel store and there is a walmart on the bus route so you could get diapers/food from there. For us it was easier to just pack some snacks/food and diapers for the baby rather than having to go to the store for it. He also ate bananas, rice, pancakes and other food I could cut up. I was pregnant at the time so my ob encouraged me to drink bottled water and I did. The rest of my family drank the filtered water and had no problems. I nursed my son, so water/formula wasn't an issue. Our hotel had beach cabanas and we did use those but we didn't bring a tent and we were fine without it. My son really loved the pool. We didn't spend a lot of time on the beach because all my son wanted to do was eat the sand. Our resort had an awesome kids pool area, so we played there. The restaurants were child-friendly. We did bring swim diapers,sunscreen, and he wore spf wetsuit and hat for sun protection. Our pedi also offered us another hep vaccine but he said since we were going to be in a tourist area with filtered water we didn't really need it, so we opted not too. If you are going off the beaten path at all you may want to mention to your pedi. Let me know if you have more questions. Have fun. Jackie

TravelMom
11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
This is great information! Funny thing is that we leave tomorrow morning! I took everyone's advice - we are packing our diapers, wipes, food, snacks - and I bought an inflatable booster seat, and the Maclaren XT stroller (actually - it did not make it in, and they gave me the XLR on loan).
Where did you stay? Sounds like a great place! We are at the Westin Regina which has 2 pools - one of which is in the shade at all times.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice! This has been super helpful!!!