PDA

View Full Version : Please send me ideas for a family va-cay!

casey118
10-28-2007, 05:59 PM
My whole family is planning a vacation for next August, and we need ideas! We had planned to go to Hawaii, but it looks like the cost of airfare may be prohibitive for my siblings that live in DC, so we are looking for new ideas. Half of the family lives in the west, but want to go to the beach. So Cal. is out since two siblings just moved from there so don't consider it a vacation. Where would be fun on the east coast? We have considered North or South Carolina, but don't really know where to go.

Guidelines- we want to go beach, and somewhere close to the beach (prefer walking distance). There are 5 kids that range in age from 5 to newborn, and 11 adults. I'm nervous about hurricanes, but guess they are a part of life in the south in August? Famiy friendly activities would be great.

Where would you go or would like to go?
Thanks for your ideas!

BeachBum
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I think the big thing to think about is how you guys feel about heat and humidity?
I live in the south, so it is just life for me. But I do know people for whom it ruined their vacation. If it will be a problem I think you will need to look further north than south carolina.

I think it will be difficult to find a location where you can beach it and walk into "town". Are you just trying to avoid having a car?

Some ideas are
Amelia Island, Florida--Stay at the Amelia Island Plantation for beach, pool and walking restaurant options in their resort area. Hotel and Condo options. You can also use their transportation to get into Fernandina Beach, the town on the island (10 min drive). There are lots of places to say but AIP is the only big resort I can think of where you could stay on property the whole time. Fly in to Jacksonville. Very nice and family friendly location. Voted in top 10 island destinations in US by Conde Naste readers.

San Destin, Florida Panhandle--Hotel and condo options. Can stay in baytown wharf for walking to restaurants and tram to beach, or stay at beach and tram to restaurants.

Seaside, Fl Planhandle--Rent a house. Walk/bike to beach and shops. Very picturesque

Charleston, SC is very nice. I have never been to the beach there because we always stay downtown. But the historic downtown area can't be beat.

casey118
11-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas! We aren't trying to avoid a car, but with babies we need the flexibility of being able to move independently of each other, really what I mean is people coming to and from the beach without the car. :)