PDA

View Full Version : 1st time flying with baby

Inden3
11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
My husband and i will be flying with our soon to be 4th month old on Southwest next week on a 5 hour flight.
I anxious about checking the carseat and stroller frame at the gate and just flying with DD period. I would gratefully accept any and all suggestions and/or what we should expect about flying with a baby.
Thanks for your help!

mom2binsd
11-03-2007, 12:52 AM
If it's not too late you might consider calling SW to see if you could pick up a 50% off fare for DD...having her in her carseat will be much safer and easier on all of you...if that isn't an option, bring the infant seat and frame right to the gate, maybe there will be seat available and the agent will give you the seat and you'll be able to bring your seat on..installation isn't that difficult...if you do have to gate check, I've flown many times and heard from others that damage to strollers etc. is minimal for gate checked items (they are the last on,first off). Having both you and DH will make it so much easier...I've travelled with two in carseats by myself and managed...just bring lots of things to keep her occupied, hopefully she'll sleep (which will be easier in a carseat)and enjoy the goofy flight attendants! Another thing to consider, changing a diaper on a plane is a pain...and 5 hours is long time for an infant to go...I practiced "lap changes" but also had to put down a blanket under my changing pad in the galley to change my DC's on a few flights.

Just a few of my suggestions...enjoy the trip!

Lexy M
11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree that having a seat for your DD would make your trip easier, especially for a 5 hour flight. I recently flew Southwest to LAX with my DH and 2 month old DS. I had no problems checking my stroller at the gate or installing our infant seat in the airplane seat. On the way there, a SW rep put gate check tags on our stroller while we were waiting, so when we got to the gate everything was ready (we had to ask on the way back).

I was worried about SW’s new boarding pass policy that boards the A group before the families w/ small children, but it turned out just fine. We still got the whole row to ourselves. Changing a diaper is also challenging, but the vomit bags make great throw away bags for diapers.

Overall, the trip was not as bad as I thought. Plan your feedings during take-off and landing and have a pacifier (or finger) handy.

maylips
11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I flew by myself with my then 5-month old and was scared to death. Reality wasn't nearly as bad as my fear. You'll do great!

I COMPLETELY lucked out both flying there and back in that I had an entire row to myself both ways. I did not buy an extra seat for DD and just chanced it and it was a huge blessing. If you think you'll be on a full flight, buying one at 50% off is a great idea if you have that option.

Because I had the whole row and some privacy, I wasn't uncomfortable breastfeeding, so I fed her as the plane went up and came down. I also had bottles of expressed milk available if it had been a full flight (come to think of it, she ate that too -- but I gave her more than normal because I wanted to keep her full, happy, and somewhat quiet). She did not sleep in the car seat but did fall asleep b/f, so I held her quite a bit. But it was nice having the car seat there so I could put her in it when I needed a break. I have one of those toys that you can attach to the car seat handle and she played with that a lot, especially since I was there to play with her.

I gate checked my BJ City Series and was kind of scared from the horror stories I had read on this board, but it worked out fine. I did buy some small bungee cords to help keep the stroller folded.

It was amazing how sympathetic people were and how many offers to help I received. You'll have someone with you, which is a huge plus, but just feel relieved knowing that the airline employees see families traveling all the time and are generally very accommodating. And most people flying either have families themselves, love babies, or are just plain nice and will be patient with you.

Probably the worst thing was going through security -- having to fold up the stroller, take the baby out of the car seat, detach the car seat from the stroller, carry your child through security, taking off your shoes, etc...gosh, you need 15 hands! So get there early so you're not rushed. I had to do all of that plus take my laptop out of my backpack...even thinking about it raises my blood pressure. A friend of mine was allowed through the handicapped security and if you can do that (and avoid the rushed and impatient business traveler), all the better.

Have a safe trip!