PDA

View Full Version : Travel Bed for almost 2 year old-Help!

momtoonegirl
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I hope that this is the right place to post this :-)

My 21 month DD has officially outgrown the Pack-n-Play. I have been looking at some old threads, and it seems as if the Aerobed for kids is a very popular travel bed. I have also seen the PeaPod Plus bed mentioned in these threads, but no comments on whether or not it is a good product.

I have narrowed my search to these two beds, as they are similar in price. We travel about 3-4 times per year, mostly staying in hotels.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the PeaPod Plus bed, or if there are other options that I need to explore?

TIA :-)

Gena
11-09-2007, 10:04 AM
My son outgrew his PNP (by height) at 22 months. After that we just started geting hotel rooms with 2 queen beds and put in a big bed. I would use all the extra pillows and blankets to make a "nest" for him so he couldn't roll out. It worked very well for us.

momtoonegirl
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. :-)

My mom actually suggested something similar to what you suggested. The last time we traveled, DD actually slept with us. Although she liked it, she eventually wanted her own space to stretch out, so I was going to go with one of the travel beds. I may just try to make a "nest" since that is more economical, and she would still have her own space.

hillview
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Are you sure she outgrew it? DS is >36 inches and still manages to squash into a pack and play. He prefers it to other options. He is tall enough to climb out but he doesn't. He likes his space. When we were traveling he did manage to also sleep in a crib (from the hotel) and a bed (with me next to him til he fell asleep) but he wasn't able to sleep alone in a bed as he tosses and turns.

Another idea I had was to get a sleeping bag to keep him from easily falling out of bed. Never tried it. I did look at the P&T travel cot and the PeaPod but both were too small/confining for him.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

momtoonegirl
11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
DD unfortunately likes to climb out of the PNP :-( , and has also outgrown it by height. Now she won't even go in it for naps.

I was also thinking that DD may be a little scared of the tent cover on the PeaPod, and feel confined/claustrophobic. I also looked at the P&T travel cot, since it looked a bit bigger. DD also tosses and turns quite a bit, and may find it confining like your DS.

May try to look into a small sleeping bag too. Thanks for the suggestion :)

SASM
11-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi there,

We have two inflatable toddler beds: The Aerobed Jr and the one from OSA. The OSA one is deeper and narrower but can be difficult to inflate ~ deflates a little as you detach the inflater. I prefer the Aerobed b/c when you detach the inflater it stays inflated. It also comes with a cover which isn't a big deal but it is nice to have, JIC (we use our PBK sleeping bags). We bought both for the same price (Kohl's had a deal on the Aerobed).

That being said, we are planning on buying DS and DD#1 each a mattress pad to use when traveling (for indoor and outdoor use) b/c they roll up insanely small and space is at a premium (in the car and indoors) when we travel now. Here is a link to one that we are considering: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2213911&cp=2367824.2277089.2280720.2280724&view=all&parentPage=family We also tent camp so this will get the kids probably into their teens. That being said, this is soooooooo much more comfortable that OUR air mattress ~ the fact that is takes up no room in the truck is a HUGE bonus!! We are getting two for DH and I as well. They really are THAT comfy!

Does this make sense? HTH! Just another option.

hillview
11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
One other idea I had. We kept DS in a toddler sleep sack and that prevented him from really being able to climb out of the PNP. The sleep sack has feet in it but doesn't allow the legs to spread SO far apart that he could get his leg up to the rail (if that makes sense). Just thought I'd mention it. I WISH they made a larger toddler travel bed.
/hillary

momtoonegirl
11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :-)

I am in the process of making a toddler sleepsack for DD, and then maybe I can see how much it restricts her from climbing.

I also like the idea of the thin air mattress. I may go to a B&M store to see it IRL.

All of you have given me food for thought, thanks again.

lwcain
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I have a Princess PeaPod Plus (surprise, it's pink!) for my DD, who is 16months. Since I supersized it, she should be able to sleep and/or play in it until age 5 or 6.

I got it before we took girl's trip to LA. I had to do something, because she's a wild sleeper and I'm pregnant. Plus, I was tired of sharing a bed with her, and freaking out about her rolling off (it has happened before). It allowed me to get comfy in my own bed, and get a good night's rest.

It's easy to carry and unfold. The mattress is easy to inflate without a pump. It's a little tricky at first to fold the tent and put it back in the carry bag, but you'll get the hang of it.

I let my daughter practice sleeping in it a couple of times before our trip. I also didn't use the sleeping bag that comes with it. Instead, I lined the PP with cotton/flannel blankets that were made for her to make it more comfy.

Hope this helps.