PDA

View Full Version : This is GREAT!

JMarie
02-25-2003, 03:00 PM
I am SO glad this forum came to be! Okay, my suggestions for weight loss, at least getting muscle tone - Yoga and Pilates. Not only are they extremely relaxing and help to deal with all the stresses of the day, you really do lengthen your muscles instead of bulk up. Pilates is AMAZING for building your core muscles (abs, obliques, and lower back) and Yoga really is helping me get my balance back. As far as cardio, there is nothing better than running. If running is too hard on the knees, eliptical trainers are just about as good.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

VickiH
02-25-2003, 05:08 PM
I am very intrigued by Pilates. I have about 25 lbs to lose to get back to pre-preg weight - yikes! Will Pilates help? Can you recommend any DVDs?

Thanks!

JulieL
02-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Do you need to have good balance and cordination for Pilates & Yoga? Cause I don't have either! But I would like to try something new. I too would like some DVD recommendations.

JMarie
02-25-2003, 06:59 PM
I also have about 25 pounds just to get back to pre-pregnancy weight, and I want to lose around 10 pounds more than that. I was much heavier than I wanted to be when I got pregnant. I personally found Pilates helped me to lose weight before my wedding - around 15 pounds - and it really worked to take inches off where I needed to lose them. It really works to help GIVE you balance, since there is such an emphasis on strengthening the core muscles. I use the GAIAM series DVDs and am currently using Pilates for Weight Loss (I also have the Yoga DVD), and I also have a Kathy Smith Pilates For Abs DVD that I use, although it's not as good. The GAIAM series have multiple variations according to difficulty, which is great as you're learning. There are also Pose Guides that help you make sure you're doing it right (I LIVE by this feature). I'm already getting my center of gravity back and my balance is much better. I will probably add some Crunch fitness DVDs to my arsenal pretty soon, and I've heard The Firm DVDs are good as well. HTH!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

COElizabeth
02-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Julie,

I haven't done Pilates post-pregnancy yet, but I did do it a couple of years ago, and I can tell you that you definitely do not have to be very coordinated. I have always avoided aerobics classes and things like that because I can't seem to get the moves right and feel stupid (which takes me back to school days of humiliation in gym), but after a couple of Pilates classes I felt like I was doing the moves fairly well. It's a lot slower and not to a beat, so it's much easier for me. A good instructor really helps, but the pose guide on the DVDs JMarie mentioned sounds good, too.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

JulieL
02-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the imput. I to have kept from taking a class for the same reason of humiliation! I have this idea in my head that they will all be snickering at me. Oh well that's my problem. I definately think I will check out some of those DVD's!

THANKS!
-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

nathansmom
02-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Anyone here try water yoga. The base here is offering classes and I am interested but would like to have an idea as to what they are like. Thanks