PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for strength-training at home

celfsh
02-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Before DD was born, I really got into strength-training at my gym. I took a class called "Power Flex" (if I remember correctly) and it really got me hooked! Has anyone ever done it or something similar? It's a group class where everyone has a bar and weights, and an instructor leads you through a series of exercises, working each muscle of your body in succession. Anyway, while I was pregnant, my membership lapsed, and I decided not to renew it until after the baby came. Instead, I just power-walked around the neighborhood for excercise (until I got too big, that is...LOL). Now, DD is here, and I just can't see myself driving to the gym, spending an hour or more, and then driving home everyday--at least not for now. I think I would have more success working out at home, which leads me to my question (finally). Does anyone have any thoughts on strength-training at home? Should I buy some weights, and if so, what kind? Or will power yoga or something like that help me tone up my (barely-there) muscles?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. TIA!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

JulieL
02-26-2003, 02:46 PM
The Firm three video set has two tapes that use free weights for strength training. The use 3 different weight amounts, they recommend starting at 3, 5 & 8 weights. One tape Body Scuplt is just weight training and the other tape Cardio Scuplt is cardio mixed w/weight training. The third tape is Ab Scuplt w/no weights. I have seen a major increase of muscle gain especially in my legs! You can find the video's at Wal-mart, Sam's Club , but there you have to send off for the fanny lifter. I saw the whole set tapes & fanny lifter available at Sports Authority for $79. It's seems like a lot of money but when you compare to a gym membership it's nothing, plus it works with your schedule. You don't even have to leave your little one. I workout in the late evening when my DS is asleep. Hope this helps. You can check out The Firm products at www.firmdirect.com

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

malie
02-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Celeste,

You might try looking at http://www.collagevideo.com/ under muscle toning to get an idea of what videos are out there that focus on strength training. It might help narrow down your choices (then again it might not). I think with most of the videos you can see at least part of them on line. There is at least one something like Keys to Weight training that might be what you are looking for if you are trying to build your own routine.

As far as buying weights, I think what you buy is going to depend on what type of exercises you are going to do. Dumb bells work fine if you are starting out (for most people) (and I'm not claiming to be an expert because I am starting over again for the zillionth time ) I have the oddest collection of dumb bells but I know for now that's all I need. You might want to check out use sporting good stores in your area, some of them carry weights (and benchs)

I doubt I've been a lot of help

marinkitty
02-26-2003, 04:41 PM
I second the recommendation for the Firm videos. I found these about 10 years ago while I was in college and have the original volumes 1 through 4. They are a great mix of cardio and weights and they really show results fast. I'm planning on pulling mine out of storage after our baby arrives! Pre-baby I did weights at the gym, but am also worried that it will be too time intensive once the baby is here. I also was a yoga fanatic pre-pregnancy and am looking to get back into that. I have a couple of tapes, but really prefer going to a class, so I'm hoping to use my precious gym time for a couple of yoga classes a week!

Holly
With baby #1 due 3/12/03

mediamaven
03-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi!

Cathe Friedrich has two workouts that are very similar to Powerflex and she offers them both on VHS and DVD. They are called "Power Hour" and "Muscle Endurance." She sells them on her website:

www.cathe.com

She has several other workouts available that include both cardio and strength. She designs workouts primarily for the advanced exerciser, but you could modify them (especially the strength ones simply by lowering the weight you use).

I have been using her workouts for close to fourteen years and she is my all-time favorite instructor. After the birth of my son last February, I used her "Cross-Train Express" series to get back in shape and was amazed at how fast I lost the weight and got my abs back. I also watched what I ate as well, but using that series really tightened everything back up!

I used to teach aerobics (before we moved and I had my son) and I took a master class from her in person and she is one of the nicest people you could meet! She truly knows what she's talking about. She's also the mother of two boys and knows what it takes to get your body back after pregnancy.

Take a look at her website and visit her forum if you have questions. She is very good about responding.

Hope this helps! :-)

Wendy