PDA

View Full Version : Best Workout Videos (DVDs)?

MartiesMom2B
03-04-2003, 11:38 AM
What are your suggestions for the best workout at home?

Past tapes that I've used were:
Buns of Steel, Denise Austin, Jane Fonda, and Yo MTV the Grind workout, Tae Bo and Gaim Yoga tapes. I love Tae Bo the best because it doesn't get boring (partly because I haven't been able to master this yet.

However the problem that I have with tapes is that after a while they get boring. Anybody else have the same problem? Maybe eventially we can trade videos/dvds for a month at a time to try new workouts.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

JulieL
03-04-2003, 05:37 PM
I know with The Firm DVD's you can customize your own workout. I wouldn't be surprised if other fitness DVD's gave the same option. That should help with your boredom.

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

Annette_C
03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Sonia,
I, too, get bored doing the same tapes over and over....that's why I have a LOT of them! LOL
My favorites are Tae-bo, Gilad, and Kathy Smith.
Gilad has had a morning workout show forever on ESPN and I used to tape it everyday because it would be different every time.
I also try to alternate between step, kick-boxing, treadmill and dance aerobics for variety. Actually, the change also helps with getting the body in better shape since you're using different muscles every day.
As far as trading tapes, sure....but I doubt anyone here has something I don't already own!:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

mediamaven
03-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Make sure to visit http://www.collage-video.com/

They review and rate almost any exercise video/dvd available. They also can send you a catalog if you want one. They are top-notch for customer service as well!

Also, you might want to visit Cathe Friedrich's website at www.cathe.com. She is my favorite video instructor. Her Cross-Train Express series helped me get back into shape after the birth of my son last year. She said she developed this series of workouts after the birth of her son because she needed time-efficient workouts. It's a series of six workouts and includes cardio (step, hi-lo or kickbox), strength training of one body part and abs. Her cardio segments are a little more advanced, so if you're a novice to working out, you might want to start with some of her earlier stuff with easier choreography or try another instructor who caters more to beginning exercisers.

Hope this helps! :-)

KathyO
03-09-2003, 09:53 PM
www.videofitness.com also has an exchange board where people can trade videos they're tired of... a possible cost-saver! You have to register (just as you do here), but it's no biggie. They have reviews as well.

I have just dipped my toe in the workout video pool by purchasing Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout. It's an all-over muscle-toning workout I alternate with my days on the exercise bike in the basement. Too early to say what the results are like, but I like Karen - her instructions are explicit but not condescending, and she doesn't have that perky-cheerleader-on-uppers persona that I really hate in a fitness instructor!!!

A New Body by Swimsuit Time!!! (My mantra these days...)

Cheers,

KathyO

anna lisa
03-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Right now I'm loving "Walk Away the Pounds" by Leslie Sansone. It's an easy workout that surprisingly burns a lot of calories.

drsweetie
04-14-2003, 10:38 AM
If you're interested in yoga, I highly recommend the Prenatal Yoga Video by Gaiam/Living Arts (you can buy it from their website at www.livingarts.com, or I bet Amazon.com or a similar place would have it). I like it because it features three women in different trimesters, and you just follow along with the woman who's in the same trimester as you. Baby Bargains mentioned the YogaZone prenatal yoga video, but I didn't like that as much because it didn't feel like as much of a structured routine and wasn't customized for different trimesters.

Ellen

mamahill
04-15-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm a big fan of the Firm videos/dvds. I have had consistent, good results from them. It's amazing how much my strength builds up over just a couple weeks. You need a short step (I use a white Rubbermaid step stool from Target), and then some light weights (though you can definitely do the videos the first couple times w/out weights and still feel worked. I have ankle weights, and then sets of 5, 8, 10 lbs. Good luck!

MartiesMom2B
04-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Sara:

Do you need the ankle weights? Did you just get a few dumbbells for the 5,8,10 lbs?

There seems to be a lot of recommendations for the Firm tapes, I think I might have to check it out.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mamahill
04-15-2003, 07:34 PM
No, you definitely don't need the ankle weights. Some tapes have them as optional, although whenever I get back into doing the Firm, I definitely have to work up to using them, and even then I sometimes opt to not. If you're starting out, I'd recommend getting 3,5,8 lbs, and then adding 10 later. I'm just starting the Firm again, after a month of "i'd rather eat chocolate and sleep in":(, and yet again I wish I had 3-pounders. I can make do with the 5s, but I definitely feel the burn!

There is a package deal running at firmdirect.com (their site) that you can also probably get at qvc.com. It's the "FIRM Body Sculpting System." If you order any of the older tapes, beware of incredibly hokey music and 80s style outfits. However these still totally kick my butt, and get me back into shape faster than anything I've tried (Body Sculpting Basics and Time Crunch - though I stop after the last stretch bc kai does a weird jazz thing that bugs me). Let me know what you end up getting!

jubilee
04-22-2003, 11:37 PM
I also love the Walk Away the Pounds videos. I have 5 of them. The best are the 2 and 3 mile walks. They are about $7 at Target.

MartiesMom2B
04-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Sarah:

When I told DH that I wanted to get the Firm tapes, he gave me a look like "I can't believe that you are going to spend more money on Fitness Videos when you hardly use the ones that you have." Therefore I'll be Tae-boing and Yoga-ing for hmmm I estimate a month before I get the Firm tapes. I'll let you know how it goes. I was using 8,10, 12 lb weights pre-pregnancy. I'll probably have to get 5,8,10 lbs since I lifted nothing while I was pregnant.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

JulieL
04-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Sonia,
I totally know the look you are talking about. For years now I have been buying fitness magazines and an occasional workout tape here and there. My DH complained because I never really did work out. It was after I had Anthony and I was on a beach last August, in Port Arnarsas that I had my Ahah moment. I said to myself, I never want to feel that embarrassed again. So I had to get DH's confidence that I was serious about working out by using what I already had. Luckly I was able to borrow The Firm Video Set from my bestfriend. But I still had to buy the weights. Now I am ready to get my new swimming suit for the summer!!! I consistantly have been working out for 7 months now. I never thought I would actually make it stick. But I did! I'd love to know what you think about The Firm Set if you get it. I have one recomendation though, The Firm Videos recommend you start at 3,5,8 lbs. Honestly I would purchase the 3 lb weights since you are coming from months of not working out. Just a sugestion, but you know your body best. Good luck with the Tae-Boe & Yoga!!!