PDA

View Full Version : DH just agreed to start working out with me!

celfsh
03-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Okay, so just minutes ago, DH came in and said he wants to start working out with me because he thinks he is getting "too fat." (He gained a little sympathy weight while I was pregnant, but he still looks good to me!) Anyway, I want to jump on this before he changes his mind! I've been trying to get him to work out with me for years, but he has never been that interested.

So does anyone have any suggestions for work-out tapes that would be good to do with DH? Preferably nothing too "girly" :). I was planning on getting The Firm DVD's based on the recommendation from JMarie and others. Would those be difficult/interesting/"manly" enough for DH? TIA for any suggestions.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

JulieL
03-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Well Celeste the Firm videos only have women, though with appropriate weights for him (being a man, need's heavier weights) I think he could find the excersizes challanging. If you do get The Firm videos, which I recommend greatly!, only get one fannylifter, see what he think of the video before you spend $50 on a second fannylifter just to find out he hates it. Though I am sure you could return it. I would recommend the Tae Bo videos, though I haven't used those kickboxing videos I have used others, and I beleive the Tae Bo videos have more men in them. Plus it's a killer way to kill lbs! Maybe someone who has used them can give their thoughts. Plus a man directs the videos! I am excited for you! You could always get a jogging stroller and jog as a family too, or walk, whatever works for you. Good luck and I am excited for you!!!

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

kapow
03-14-2003, 09:54 AM
If you live anywhere near a YMCA you should check out their gym, they have very affordable family memberships and many have baby care centers where you can have them watch your baby while you work out.

sadiethegsp
03-14-2003, 01:24 PM
You might also want to check out some of the workout shows that are on ESPN on Saturday mornings (after the fishing shows, but before the football or basketball games start). Although they usually focus on weightlifting (so you might need to have some weights or a home gym to really get into it) they are geared toward both men and women, and you could tape them and use them later without having to buy expensive videos. Not so great for aerobic workouts, though.
Another inexpensive alternative: Go for walks/jogs together. Something my DH and I always enjoyed, even while I was pregnant.

celfsh
03-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think variety is the key, so I'll definitely be looking into everything that's been suggested. FYI, we do have a Zooper Buddy that I purchased, in part, so I could powerwalk with DD. The only thing is the best time for DH and I to work out together is in the morning before he leaves for work (at 6:30 A.M.--yikes!), and DD is still sleeping.

Anyway, now to try to figure out what channel ESPN is and how to work the VCR... :)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

sadiethegsp
03-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Isn't that what DH is for? ;)

celfsh
03-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Good call...don't know what came over me.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

Annette_C
03-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Celeste,
I have the entire Tae-bo collection and I would recommend that as a "unisex" workout. Start off with the beginners series or you will both be turned off by it (very challenging in the advanced but I love it!). One other suggestion....Gilad! He's on ESPN and also has different workout tapes. His workouts are fun, easy to follow and he's a guy!:)
I think you would both enjoy Gilad....I got my DH interested in his workouts! You can find his tapes on collagevideos.com or on his web site http://www.bodiesinmotionwithgilad.com
Good luck!

MartiesMom2B
03-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Celeste:

I just wanted to agree with Annette about Tae Bo. DH was interested in doing Tae Bo with me, until he discovered spinning class at the gym. Congrats on having a work out buddy. I think it makes the world of a difference!

Good luck!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03