PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Time to Start Weight Loss Program Post Partum?

MartiesMom2B
03-18-2003, 06:01 PM
I was wondering when the ideal time was to start a weight loss program after you have the baby. I was told in breastfeeding class that you shouldn't crash diet after giving birth (not that I would anyway). But should you get permission from your OBGYN to start a program? Should you start right away? 6 weeks?

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

JulieL
03-18-2003, 07:10 PM
If you are breastfeeding you had best stop thinking about dieting. You as a breastfeeding mama have to consume 500 calories more to make up for all the milk you are producing. The best thing to do, which I didn't do so well, is to eat well and healthy while breastfeeding. And if you are working out this will help drop pounds, though it will be slow and gradual. Also when you work out I have read several places that you need to consume 100 calories after a workout session. Your body is holding onto fat for your baby. Don't think you can't lose weight of fat your body doesn't need while breastfeeding, but you will carry more fat because you are breastfeeding. Does that make sence to you??? I lost 8 pounds in five months time. Like I said slow and gradual. But each person is different. If you are not breastfeeding I would say after your 6 weeks post partum would be safe to diet. But dieting should be done in smart way. More like reshaping your food choices instead of eating only grapefruits or taking pills. The healthier you eat the better it is for you and your family. But as I have learned it is a daily decision. Some days are better than others. Talk to your doctor or a LC also. They may give you more info.

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

COElizabeth
03-19-2003, 12:25 AM
I think you can and will lose weight while breastfeeding without changing your diet at all. I would wait and see how things go without purposely restricting your diet. You could of course exercise and try to make healthy eating choices to help you along (although you may well not have enough energy to exercise for a few months). You may not lose all the weight you want to (I haven't yet), but you will probably gradually lose a lot of it. Then if you stop losing weight after several months and still have more to go, you could ask your doctor about going on a more restricted diet. You don't want to lose weight too fast because you risk decreasing your milk supply and because your body burning fat releases pesticides into your milk, as I understand it (because we store them in our body fat). Moderate weight loss is fine, but you don't want to do any crash diet at any time during nursing. And in any case, I wouldn't recommend trying to restrict your diet at all in the first few weeks. I know I ate plenty of hearty casseroles and other treats friends brought over, and for several weeks I really felt like I needed very substantial meals (big helping of hearty casserole, salad and dressing, bread, dessert, enormous glass of juice!). Oh, and I needed them brought to me in bed! I was actually still on doctor-ordered bed rest for a few weeks, but I recommend at least some meals served in bed regardless! :) Labor, birth, and life with a newborn who wakes up to eat every hour or two all use up a lot of energy, and you need to fortify your body well, especially if you are nursing, but even if you are not. REALLY! Of course, if you have medical reasons to lose weight faster, your doctor should advise you about what course would be best, but otherwise, I really wouldn't worry too much until several months after you deliver. Best wishes!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

JulieL
03-19-2003, 10:15 AM
I wanted to add that in my workouts I worked on strength training and did very little areobic. So I have gained quite a bit of muscle tone I never have had. This is also probably why I didn't lose more weight at that time. So remember if you work out with weights it is totally possible to lose 2 lbs of fat and gain 1 lb of muscle. I also agree that you don't have to diet to lose weight breastfeeding - at first. You can shed lbs fast in the beginning from breastfeeding. One thing to be mindful of at least I found is that while breastfeeding you have raging hunger all the time!!! So just be careful. I know you can lose weight BFing so keep your chin up and go for it!

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

Momof3Labs
03-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Sonia,

Weight Watchers has a program specifically for breastfeeding moms, and allots more points to them. Ask your OB before going on a diet, but this is the only structured diet that I would go on while nursing (of course, eating healthy is always allowed)!