PDA

View Full Version : when to start working out again?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Before the baby was born, I was working out 3 times a week at Curves. I did that right up to the day she was born.

I miss it! So I started back doing just the arm machines last week, at 3 weeks post partum. I assume if I am overdoing it, I will know somehow? I really feel like I could do the whole routine, but I guess it makes sense to wait on the ones that stress the abs?

When did everyone else go back to exercising?

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

JulieL
04-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Typically doctor orders are to wait 6 weeks post-baby before starting a overall workout routine. At my 6 weeks I went for a very pathetic run, about 1/4 of a mile, if that. I was winded out and walked back home. When I got back home I realized I had started bleading again. Although you may feel ok, your body really does need extra rest to get back in shape. Now I wasn't active before I got pregnant, so you may physically be ok before 6 weeks, but really why push it. I ended up waiting 2 more weeks before I tried anything again. So my non-doctor advice is keep up the arms/back workouts, but hold out on much else. Walking is good for you, and your joints. I would recommend starting there. But then again that's just my thoughts, best to talk to your doctor.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I guess I should ask the doctor, I'll call tomorrow.

I haven't stopped bleeding yet, when does that normally stop? It's not very heavy, not even soaking one pad a day. It didn't increase when I started doing the arm machines, so I figured that was a good sign. :)

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Annette_C
04-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Karen,
My bleeding stopped six weeks after Sabrina was born. It varies from woman to woman but the norm is 4-6 weeks.
About your question on working out....I used to work out at home 5 days a week for one hour each session (I've done that for 20 years). I worked out 'till the last day of pregnancy and was able to keep the weight gain at 22-25 lbs for a 42 wk pregnancy.
I began exercising again 2 weeks after Sabrina was born (I felt fine and up to it) but kept a low impact pace and for only 30 minutes. I would only do it when I could (read: when DD allowed me!) but I still noticed a change in my bleeding (got heavier). I'm crazy when it comes to working out so I wouldn't recommend doing what I did.
I think it's a good idea for you to ask your doctor because he/she knows you best.
HTH,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02