PDA

View Full Version : Posting week 4/21

JulieL
04-28-2003, 01:19 PM
So this week wasn't the greatest for me. I have been fighting a sinus infection. It is mostly gone now. Ended up working out 2 times last week, but that is something! Hope your week was better than mine!!!

MartiesMom2B
04-28-2003, 04:15 PM
The only walking I've done this week was at the malls and shopping centers. I haven't gone done any weight wise and I think Martie is going through a growth spurt. It's 5:02 pm and I'm still in my pjs. She's been nursing about every hour to hour and a half. 3 more weeks till my check up though.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

JulieL
04-28-2003, 07:18 PM
I think walk at the mall counts! I remember when I was BFing and Anthony would go through a growth spurt. It seemed like all I did was nurse, like I was one big boob! You'll both get through it, a little tired maybe though!

kathsmom
04-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Can I join in on the posting of what we have done? I am so disgusted with myself and the weight that I have to lose. After reading some of the posts here about how others are within 3 lbs. of their pre-pregnancey weight (and having to go to Lane Bryant to find something for Easter), I have started walking. I walked last night and tonight for 1.5 miles.

I need to lose 15 lbs to get to my pre-pregnancy weight, and before getting pregnant, I needed to lose about 20-30 lbs. So, I would like to post and have some accountability to help me stay focused and on track.

Thanks!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

JulieL
04-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Welcome Toni!!! You absolutely can join in the posting. It's open to anyone who wants to be included! Encourangement is key to being successful. Walking is a wonderful place to start. Before you know it you will start losing that extra weight. The spring is a great time to get started!!! Look forward to getting to know you!

kathsmom
04-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks, Julie!

I do not like to exercise, but I am determined to do this for myself and the sake of my family. My back and knees hurt from the extra weight. Also, my mom has high blood pressure, as well as my younger brother. I *do not* want to have this happen to me (although I did have high BP during pregnancy and was put on bed rest for the last 2 months).

One of my neighbors runs and was the cross country coach for girls track at a local high school. I've been talking to her and getting tips. My goal is to run in the local 5K race held every year here on the 4th of July (not this year, but next year).

edited to say that it is a 10k race - not a 5k! I'm tired, so I make a lot of mistakes!!

MartiesMom2B
04-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Toni:

Please do join us. Don't feel bad about the extra weight you have to lose. I think I have a little less than 50 pounds to lose to get to what I should've been before I got pregnant. (Can't believe I've said that out loud).

We're here to support you.

Sonia

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that you live in the Triangle area. Is that true? If so we can get together and walk somewhere if you'd like.

kathsmom
04-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Sonia,

I was supposed to be up there! We live in the Atlanta area. DH had accepted what we thought was a fabulous career opportunity in the triangle area, but the job (read the boss) was horrible. For our mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual health DH resigned after being with them only 2 months. We now know that other things were going on, and if DH had known these things, he never would have accepted the job.

DH has a new job now and we are able to stay here and not move. We were looking forward to moving up that way and meeting the mommies I have met on the boards.

Thanks for thinking of me to exercise with!

Take care!

MartiesMom2B
04-29-2003, 12:18 PM
Toni:

I see. So I wasn't going crazy completely. :) Well just know that I'll exercise with you in spirit.

I'm going to be in Atlanta (actually Newnan and Peachtree City) over the 4th of July weekend to be in a wedding. Ick. I've got a bridesmaid dress that I need to fit into by then. It's coming this week so we'll see how that goes!

Sonia

Annette_C
04-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi girls!
My update for last week is that I worked out 5 times. I guess you would consider that good but the problem is that you can't lose weight by just working out...you need to diet also!
For some weird reason (maybe not so weird), I'm not ready to give up "treats" and that's my downfall.
I hope that with summer coming, I'll get better motivated to diet.

Julie,
I hope you feel better. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Sonia,
You can do it! After my first two kids I had to lose 40 lbs and did it! Kept it off for 20 years! If only I had that same determination now...:)

Toni,
So glad to see you here! I've been meaning to e-mail you to ask how things are going but never seem to get around to it. Sorry.
I've been thinking of you, though. :)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

MartiesMom2B
04-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Annette:

Hooray for your great workouts. I know what you mean about the treats. We went grocery shopping today when I was hungry. I know that's a big no no, before I knew it the Ben and Jerry's went in the cart.

Good news is that the bridesmaid dress came in today. It actually fits around the hips and waist, which means the bodice is too big and it needs to be hemmed. However I'm going to wait until June to have it altered because I'm planning on losing some more inches.

Thanks for all of your support.

Sonia

JulieL
04-30-2003, 08:15 AM
Ya, I know about the special treats also. I try to curve my appetite with hershey kisses (the individual package helps me from eating to many), chocolate pudding the fat free kind although it is not sugar free, and yogurt. But DH & I have been know to buy the pre-made cookie dough and eat about half of the batch each, only actually cooking half the batch, opps!!! I was doing a food diary, but it got to be to much to log each meal, and one day DH & I ordered pizza. So a few days before we ordered I had the perfect food diet going on. Then friday came: morning-raisen brand cereal, lunch-apple, ham sandwich, asian slaw; dinner-half a pizza!!!:'( Oh well we can only try right! I told DH we have got to stop ordering out!

kathsmom
04-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Annette,

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to working with you ladies on losing some weight. I hear you about the treats!

Sonia,

Peachtree City is on the other side of town from me :( I am glad that your bridesmaid dress fits! You're a brave woman to do this after having a baby!

Julie,

I was going to order a pizza for dinner tonight! Maybe I'll go to the grocery store instead and *try* to pick out something healthy.

FYI, my DH said I could get the jogging stroller or all-terrain stroller of my choice (but not a Bugaboo) if I can show over a period of time that I am committed to an exercise program (and I need to save money for it too!). I am going to print up pics of strollers to put on my fridge for motivation! You will have to help me pick one out! I think he realized after pushing DS in our PP Venezia on our rough neighborhood streets that a different stroller might be good for DS, as well as whoever is pushing. That said, my family is not going walking with me again, except for DS, because he is quiet on the walks and just sits back and enjoys the ride!

That's all for now! Will post more and will probably have more questions later!

Toni - the exercising mama to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

jbrandy
04-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Hello group--hope you don't mind if I also jump on this posting. I figure posting will help me stay focused. I'm a first time mom. I gained about 28-30 lbs in pregnancy. I lost 20 after birth. Now I have 10 lbs to go to be pre-pregnancy but...I also want to lose more. I would agree with everyone that even though it's only 10 lbs I seemed to have put on many inches at the waist. I can't even begin to button my old pants and shorts. I took someone's advice on the bulletin board and bought real clothes to wear instead of maternity pants. I do feel much better doing that.

The good news is that in my 2nd week after birth I walked 2 days. In my third week I rode our bike (indoor exercise bike) 3 times and this week on Sun and Mon rode the bike 30 min, Tues and Wed 30 min of step aeoribics and 30 min of bike. Can I just say that I really have never been into exercising but I'm trying.

Anyone have suggestions for specific exercises that will work on those extra inches at the waist??

Good luck to everyone this week. Thanks for the support.

Beth B
Evan 4-4-03
12:04 am
10lbs 4 oz
22 inches

LD92599
04-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi! I made the decision to start Weight Watchers tomorrow. I was on WW before i got pregnant...when I was in high school i had lost 80 pounds, and kept off 70 of it for about 10 years. Then in January of this year I started to slowly gain. Knowing that we wanted to have a baby, I joined WW and lost the 10 I had gained. I then proceeded to gain 50 over the 9 months and lost 20 within 2 weeks of delivery (William weighed 6 lbs, 13.5 ounces...when they told me that I definitely thought he would have weighed more!). I haven't gotten on the scale since..fear, I think!

I am a lifetime WW member and rec'd in the mail last week an offer to come back and the same day, also rec'd something in my email from them. How did they know?!?!?

In any case, starting tomorrow. I am pretty good when it comes to exercising, but only walking. DH and I (DS too!) walk at least 2 miles each day and sometimes 3.

So...i will follow these threads and post progress. I am heading back to work in another month or so and don't want to have to buy new clothes! At least my husbands Dockers fit me, so they will tide me over for a few weeks!

Thanks for listening and good luck to everyone :-) I know, from past experience, that it is hard. With determination, we'll each achieve our goals.

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

stillplayswithbarbies
04-30-2003, 09:43 PM
>For some weird reason (maybe not so weird), I'm not ready to
>give up "treats" and that's my downfall.
>

That is my problem too. I was so good through the pregnancy, especially at the end, that I gave myself permission to splurge after she was born. I'm still splurging on pizza and cake and candy, and she is 5 weeks old!

I've been exercising, I'm back at Curves 3 times a week, but like you said it takes dieting and exercise to lose weight. I have 4 pounds of pregnancy weight left to lose, but then I have 40 pounds to go after that. . .

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

JulieL
05-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Welcom Beth, Laura and Karen!!!

Beth,
I hate to say it but you can not spot reduce. Meaning, you can't work on just one part of the body to lose fat. In aeorbics you will lose overall fat. Over time you will start to see your waist decrease. With ab work you will strengthen the abbs under the fat, but with just ab work you will never get rid of the fat around the waist. The good new is it does come off. I remember after I had my DS my waist seemed to be in folds, not the kind of folds a girl wants either! My waist 8 months after working out is back to normal but my lower waist, around the belly button, is still a few inches bigger than it should be. But I really am not good at keeping up with my ab work, so I need to work on that. Please don't get discouraged it will go away if you work on it! And if you strength train along with the other stuff you will build muscles that will burn more fat, yeah!!! Although I may be wrong it sounds like you are doing to much way to soon. You gave birth less than a month ago. Have you consulted with your doctor? You said you were never really into working out. Well although after the baby is GREAT time to begin I think you are doing to much to fast. Have you stopped bleeding yet? Because aerobic workouts could keep you bleeding. But I do know that every womans body is different. I think cycling would be gentle enough as well as walking. I really really suggest you talk to your doctor. Maybe you already have and if you were given the ok, then go for it. But I am concerned you may have not completely healed. I am not a doctor so my advice is just that advice. So take it for what it's worth.

Laura,
I know those extra lbs are a killer but over time you will conquer them! It seems you have a good concept of where to start. If you lost so much in the past, however long ago, I know you can do it again. I think it is just wonderful that you are walking 2 to 3 miles a day! You should see results for sure. To kick up your walking try doing fast intervals then slow back down to your regular gate. A jogging stroller is best to do this in, but a regular stroller should be able to handle it on a smooth surface. Keep it it!!!

Karen,
Above I was talking about the craving for me. Have you tried, you too Sonia, Eddies Whole Fruit Pops? Oh my gosh they are good and have little sugar. I know they help me. After every workout I have one. I get the kind that have no sugar added, they are 30 calories and have 2 grams of sugar! It helps me to think I have something cool to snack on after a vigorious workout. Eddies Whole Fruit Pops also have others that are VERY good but do have added sugar, still they are not a bad treat!

I Look forward to getting to know all of you!!!

MartiesMom2B
05-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Welcome everyone! I'm so glad that we have so many people to support us and I think this weekly posting will work great. Plus it'll be fun to see the different techniques people are using.

Laura:
I'm joining WW next week. I didn't make it to lifetime member before getting pregnant. In fact I first suspected I was pregnant at a weigh-in. I'm going to finish this time.

Julie:
Yes I've tried those Edie's pops and they are great. I did try to take one while pregnant and dealing with morning sickness and it came right back up.

Sonia
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

jenmcadams
05-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Hope you all don't mind if I join in too. I had been starting to get in an exercise program (pretty intense spin class 3x/week) over the last month or two and then in the last two weeks, Abbie's been sick and I've let it slip. I gained 45 lbs during pregnancy and I think I'm about 10lbs over pre-pregnancy weight and would have to lose another 5-10 to get down to where I'd like to be.

Prior to pregnancy, I was always pretty lucky in that I didn't gain weight that easily, but now I don't seem to be able to drop it very easily either. My husband has always battled with his weight, but has always maintained pretty aggressive fitness goals....he's doing his 3rd ironman triathlon in June despite being about 40lbs overweight. My goal is to drop between 15-20 lbs and do an Olympic distance triathlon in August....if I can survive the swim. My definite downfall is food...both my husband and I love to eat and cook. Hopefully with both of us working out, we can be better about not eating out and watching the treats.

Hopefully by posting here every week, I'll be a little more accountable about working out and I'm definitely going to try the food log thing.