PDA

View Full Version : Herbalife?

SDMom
05-01-2003, 05:52 PM
I have several relatives (all women) who swear by Herbalife as a weight loss system, and am considering going on the program myself. Has anyone tried this method of weight loss? DS is almost 14 months old. I'd like to lose about 15 or more pounds. I've been breastfeeding, but he's been weaning himself so I'm not too worried about the herbs in their products. I'll avoid products with lots of stimulants (caffeine, ephedra, etc.). In any case, have you tried this approach to weight loss and which products from their line did you use?

Nancy

JulieL
05-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Nancy,
I don't know anything about Herbalife. But I do want to encourage you to look up as much info about it you can. Often these pills work initially, or not, and if you stop taking them you gain back all those lbs you lost. Pills I think, unless you have an obese problem - medical problems and such, are a scam. A good thing would be to ask your primary care physician. See what he/she knows about it. I think the best weight loss method is eating healthy and exercising. Then you know you did it yourself and didn't have to depend on a pill. But maybe other gals have other experiences. Best to ask the doc.

MartiesMom2B
05-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Nancy:

My dad tried this and didn't lose a significant amount of weight. I have friends too who have tried it and I don't think that they lost a lot either because they would've told me. I'd research it more. Have your relatives kept that weight off for a significant amount of time. Did they have to make changes in diet?

Good luck. Post with us on our weekly results thread for support.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

vluckey
05-08-2003, 02:51 PM
A great product I use is called Advocare. The have a web site, www.advocare.com . I lost 60 pounds with that product before pregnancy and took their vitamin line instead of prenatals. Only gained 12 pounds during pregnancy and plan to keep going with my weight loss one my baby arrives next week. (For clarity, the vitamin line is NOT a weight loss product) I have at least another 40 to go, but I'll stop when I reach size 12 or so, whatever that weight might be.

Also, I really like a "modified" Atkins approach. Lots of protein, but still eat veggies and fruits. Stay away from carbs as much as you can, but don't obsess about it. I highly recommend a high protein shake for breakfast, (not slimfast, hardly no protein). That way you're giving your metabolism a great start for the day and gets you burning. Plus, high quality protein keeps you from getting hungry. At least 20 grams a shake. Mine is 24 grams.

Also, the biggest thing, take your time. It took me a year to lose 60 pounds, but I wasn't in a race. I just let my body let go of it at it's own rate, while continuing to do the right thing. Your body has to respond if you change your habits, it just might take a while.

Hope this helps!

MartiesMom2B
05-08-2003, 06:06 PM
I just wanted to emphasize the part about taking your time to lose weight. I've been told that you should only really lose 1 lb per week to lose weight safely. This does not include water weight though. But as I was told today - if you lose one pound per week that's over 50 lbs in a year!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm