PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with a debilitating injury?

mamalolita
05-04-2003, 01:39 PM
I was in a car accident three years ago and broke both legs. I had to have them pinned in several places. Now I am limited to low impact exercises such as swimming. I am so bored with it, I could cry. Is anyone else in this same type of situation? If so, what do you do to stay in shape? I am considering meeting with a physical therapist/and/or trainer to see what else I can be doing.

COElizabeth
05-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Have you tried floor mat Pilates? It's pretty low impact, and though it's not cardiovascular, it's very good for stretching and toning. I felt much better when I was taking a class. Maybe cycling would be a good choice, too?

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

heidi_timms
05-08-2003, 01:14 AM
You might also try aqua aerobics or even aqua jogging in the pool. The water offers 15 times the resistance of running/working out on land and is very low impact. Lots of injured runners use aqua jogging to stay in shape while nursing injuries.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

vluckey
05-08-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure if this would be too hard on your legs, but elyptical trainers are low impact but great for cardio vascular. I swear by them! I was at 307lbs at one point and lost about 60 before I got pregnant. Even at that weight I could go as fast as a good jog, which I could NEVER do on a tread mill. Plus, thanks to very high quality vitamins and suppliments, I've only gained 12 pound while pregnant! Can't wait to get back in the gym to lose the rest. Hope this helps.