PDA

View Full Version : Calling JulieL and anyone else who needs support in this weight loss horror

liya
05-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Im going insane sometimes my cravings try to get a hold of me but i just cant. After ds was born i was left with 30pds more than what i weighed before the pregnancy now add those to the 20pds i had to loose and you get a whopping 50pds..Im going to a nutritionist and were working on my calorie intake since i do nurse my son ( at least partially) but i really have no mood to excersice..I really need some motivation and support so if anyone out there is in the same slump please please help.....
By the way, im really looking for some type of work out to do at home since dh cant stay w/ ds and im all alone here i have to take the time ds sleeps to work out....

help :O
thanks;)

Edited to say i have lost 7pds but i need to get off my rear end and do something else other than eat better.....lol

MartiesMom2B
05-04-2003, 05:23 PM
I used to motivate myself to exercise by thinking of a treat that I could have due to the fact that I was exercising. Of course that treat has to be less calories than the amount of calories that you burned. Right now I'm walking with DD in a stroller for a bit of exercise. You might be able to do that too.

Hopes this helps. Good luck. Join us with our weekly postings for extra support too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

liya
05-05-2003, 12:16 AM
thanks alot sonia, i will join you all for a weekly posting god knows i need all the support i can get.......

JulieL
05-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Liya,
First of all you are right where you need to be. A willing heart is the first place to start. Here are a couple of things I have done to give myself that extra umpff! First of all I have kept a journal of my workout for the week, then at the end of the month I note my weight and measurements. And after 3 months I really did see a difference, a sizable difference. I can't stress enough to write down your measurements. If you weight train ( which I HIGHLY reccommend-it boosted my self esteem immensely!!!) you won't see the scale move as much as you will your measurements. I have heard of others taking pictures of themselves in swimmingsuits every month to see the difference as well. I found my graduation pictures (I'm a youngin so for me that was only 5 years ago) and saw how good I looked. I thought I WILL look like that again. So I took the pics that I like the best (ones showing my legs-lookin good if I can say so!) and used that as a personal encouragement. I'm also with Sonia on giving myself a treat after a workout. As I have already posted I have a Eddy's whole fruit no sugar added pop after I workout. It's cool so it feels SSOOOOO good after a workout and tastes great! Plus it is guilt free!!! And I constantly thought to myself, next summer I will NOT feel this embarressed about myself! So I hope this helps. Each person has their own way to help themselves get there. But group encouragement is key, and you will definately get that here! GOOD LUCK AND COUNQUER!!!

liya
05-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks alot Julie ive been trying to umph myself to get off my rear end and do something..I am a young one also only 24 so i get what your saying about the graduation pic both senior year and college, my gosh did i look good....lol :) Anyways ive been trying to get myself out there to execersize but i find it way esier to do it at home, i just dont know of any good home work outs..DO you? I have that 90 day work out thing from BEach body and to tell you the truth i havent opened it yet....jejejeje i kindda sacares me it seems like exercise hell...but anyhow give me your imput on this....

thanks alot
Linda

JulieL
05-05-2003, 05:52 PM
I am a Firm believer, as you can see from all my posts I just love their videos. But really start anywhere. The real thing is to start SOMETHING! I haven't seen the Beach Body videos, but really starting is the key thing. You can do it. Deep down the motivation is there, you just have to dig it out!

liya
05-06-2003, 08:09 AM
I was looking at those after i bought the 90 day thing and they seemed so much better.....aaarrgghhh I looked into their website and they have those new videos also...Gosh i wish i had bought those insted......humm maybe i still can...its just that the beach body videos look soo hard and im so out of shape....these look somewhat simpler(still hard) but simpler you know.......

vluckey
05-08-2003, 02:20 PM
What type of nutrionist are you working with? The reason I'm asking is because there is a big difference between the typical nutritionist who works for medical facilities (like hospitals) and nutritionist who actually work with nutrition. I have become a vitamin and mineral freak because I discovered that the reason I could not get off my butt was because I didn't give my body the fuel it needed to work properly, therefore I had no energy. I learned a lot about nutrition (vitamin and mineral supplements, food, etc) and lost 60lbs, down from 307 lbs before I got pregnant. I am in my last week of pregnancy and have only gained 12 lbs, which my doctor is thrilled with.

The reason I ask this question is because my doctor at one point said I had failed the glucose test and had to be treated for gestational diabetes. After a long arguement, I told her I wanted to test sugar for a week before taking insulin shots. She sent me to the nutrionist at the hospital I am to deliver at, and I have to tell you, the stuff she told me was scary. Alot of the info she told me was old and outdated and would have actually caused me to have high sugar. I patiently listened to her and then did what I wanted to do and my sugars have been perfect. My doctor told me they would not put me on the shots.

My point is, you should talk to someone who is really in the know about vitamins and minerals. I knew all about food cravings before I lost weight, but even while pregnant, I have not had one food craving. A great book to read about the overall importance of wellness from a nutrition, health, medical and financial point of view is called "the Wellness Revolution" by Paul Zane Pilzer.

You can do this! You can get control of you body and mind! I did!

God bless!
Vanessa
Lil' Eddie's Mom

liya
05-08-2003, 10:45 PM
ill just have to read that.....my nutritionist doesnt work in a hospitl shes actually a good friend from college ive know her for years and her work is increadible....i have an appt to see her tommorow and have to check out a whole bunch of stuff including that i just dont have time to eat...i just really have no time at all soemtimes i even forget..... instead of eating some bad fast food i do somethign worse and not eat at all...this is taking a huge toll in my nursing and my body i feel dizzy and tiered most of the time and this is the exact reason why....so ill keep you posted.....

ginalc
05-10-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi Linda,

I don't do well with the cravings either, so I just give in! (I use little cups meant for children's snacks and fill them full!!!)

I eat what I want, (including cheese cake!) but in small amounts. To compensate, I strap baby on in a carrier or push in the stroller and get outside every single day for walks. If things are going well, I go for longer walks, sometimes, just 2 short walks around the house morning and night. Once a week we go to the park and walk, just for my own therapy! :)

Another trick I've learned is to relax. I bought several beginner yoga DVDs and worked with those after baby #2 and it took me a good 10 months to lose my 60 lb. weight gain, but it did happen!

Since delivering my 3rd baby last November, I've done lots of Pilates exercises with the instruction of a Physical Therapist who specializes in women's health. Pilates can be done on your own at home, but until you fully understand how to do them, I would suggest some sort of formal instruction. There are many good classes and books available.

Pilates is good for women who have had babies as the exercises work to strengthen, tone and firm-up the hips, lower back, lower abs and thighs. All of which need work on my bod'!

The Physical Therapist also shared with me that it takes your body 3 YEARS to recover from a single pregnancy. Can you believe that?!

I work the walks and Pilates exercises into my everyday activities with the kids. Playing on the floor? I do bridges and leg lifts. Doing dishes? Kegels and "Posture Muscle" reinforcements. Burping baby? Bounce on the exercise ball (great for thighs!) Walking? walk briskly! I try to exercise in 5-10 minute increments instead of setting aside an "exericise time" and that seems to work better.

The thought of "exercising" on it's own makes me want to grab a blankie and the remote!!! :)

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

liya
05-10-2003, 10:53 AM
lol i hear you.........i started walking with ds yesterday, my gosh its sooooo much more work i dont know why my back hurts so much...lol...well ill post you all up soon to tell u all about this mommy fit....:)

Susann
07-05-2003, 12:51 AM
I gained 40 lbs during every pregnancy. Lost after the two first ones but the third one was tricky: I was still 50 lbs over pre-pregnancy weight 2,5 years after giving birth to DD #3.

I tried FIRM - way too much for someone in my condition. I tried all kinds of diets - lasted for a day. Finally joined CURVES. I loved it. I went in at least 3 times a week. But in one month I hadn't lost a pound.

We had a reservation for an Easter Buffet, but I wasn't able to fit in any of my nice clothes. I was very depressed and pictured myself in front of the Buffet table. People would look at me and think: "That fat lady should think what she puts on her plate, she shouldn't be here".

I felt really ugly,skipped the Easter Buffet and the next day I started the CURVES eating plan. In exactly 2 months (May and June) I lost 27 lbs! Just guess how happy I am!

Now I have hit a plateu. It's awful and so difficult, when everybody else celebrates 4th of July eating cheese cake (at least that's how I feel). But what keeps me going, is that I know that there will be plenty of cheese cake available after I have lost the last 23 lbs, no matter if it takes 2 months or 2 years.

Susann

ps. What I also realised, was that people were much more friendly, when I wasn't overweight. When I was in malls with DD #1 in the stroller, everybody came over and said something nice. When DD #3 was an infant, nobody looked at my direction. Sounds shallow, but that's the reality.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-05-2003, 09:40 PM
>
>ps. What I also realised, was that people were much more
>friendly, when I wasn't overweight. When I was in malls with
>DD #1 in the stroller, everybody came over and said
>something nice. When DD #3 was an infant, nobody looked at
>my direction. Sounds shallow, but that's the reality.

This is so true, and matches my experience exactly. When I weighed 70 pounds more than I do now, it was like I was invisible. People pass you and don't even look at you to smile and nod. I really notice a difference now, people smile and nod and make small talk. Not just men, women too. It's like they are embarassed to notice you when you are way overweight.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Susann
07-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh, my gosh! You lost 70 lbs. How did you do that? After loosing the first 27 lbs, I've been stuck in the same weight for two weeks now.And I haven't been cheating or anything.

Susann

stillplayswithbarbies
07-06-2003, 04:30 PM
This was before I got pregnant. I did it on the Atkins diet, and by going to Curves 3 times a week. It took me 8 months, and then I got pregnant. I continued at Curves, and stayed on Atkins, but at the Maintenance level, gaining 28 pounds during the pregnancy. I lost 16 pounds giving birth, and then 3 more after that, leaving me with 9 pounds to go to get back to where I was when I got pregnant. And that's my story. :) I have 40 pounds to go to get to my goal, which will put me back at what I weighed in high school, but that may be unrealistic for a 40 year old lady with 2 kids, :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Susann
07-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi again Karen,
So did you hit a plateu during the Atkins? What did you do then? The CURVES diet is pretty much like the Atkins - a little more flexible.
I followed the Curves, but now after 2 weeks of plateu, I'm trying out strict Atkins. So far nothing has happened.
Of course I'm happy after loosing 27 lbs rather than nothing but I'm still overweight. Only 10 lbs more would put me in the range of normal weight.
Susann

liya
07-06-2003, 05:05 PM
omg you give me hope!!!!i bagan talking about loosing weight but now after Arian has a schedule it seems so much easier...i got my the firm videos here and im ready to roll...lol

stillplayswithbarbies
07-06-2003, 06:13 PM
I hit several plateaus along the way. I would look at what I was eating, and sometimes I was not eating enough calories, so I would add calories and the weight would start to come off again. I tried not to get too upset about plateaus - I figured it was better than gaining weight! Another thing that worked for me is to up my carbs for a day or so. I noticed that if I had a special day, like a birthday or holiday, and ate more carbs than I should on that day, I would start to lose weight again.

I seem to be plateau'ed now. I am going to have to tweak things to figure out what works while I am breastfeeding as I am not losing at all even though I am doing what always worked for me before I got pregnant.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
07-06-2003, 06:31 PM
MOre calories....you need more calories when you are breastfeeding to be exact 500 calories...i have no idea how much that would be in carbs though i guess about half a cup of rice...or one slice of bread

stillplayswithbarbies
07-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Before I was pregnant, I was eating (and losing weight on) 2000 calories a day and around 50-80 carbs a day. While pregnant, I upped that to 2300 calories a day and 120-150 carbs a day (Maintenance level for me). Now, while breastfeeding, I am eating 2500 calories a day and am back to 50 carbs a day or less. That is my goal anyway, some days I have more, but not more than 80.

From what I have read, pregnancy takes an extra 300 calories a day and breastfeeding takes an extra 500 calories a day. (I assume they don't mean in addition to what you ate while pregnant, but rather in addition to what you used to eat)

So I think I am getting enough calories.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03