PDA

View Full Version : Free Weights

kfcboston
05-06-2003, 07:03 AM
Hello! I belong to a local YMCA, and have made an appointment with a trainer to introduce me to free weights. I've always been a little too intimidated and afraid of injury to try them out, but no longer! It just doesn't seem like the weight machines accomplish much for me. Also I now own a couple hand dumbells at home and thought I could do some free weights at home too, which now is a high priority for me! :-)

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should focus on or discuss with the trainer initially? I'd like to only to one session......maybe two.

Thanks!

JulieL
05-06-2003, 09:32 AM
I use free weights with The Firm videos. One thing you should really focus on is good form. As long as you keep good form you will not injury yourself, especially your back. Also with weights you should work the muscles to fatigue, not pain. But I am sure a trainer would go over all that with you. I like the freedom free weights gives me at home. You will see so much progress in your body with weight training. I urge you to take your measurements now (waist, upper thighs, and hips) and at the end of each month weigh and measure yourself. Over time you should see your measurements move more than the weight. And when your pants are to baggy and your DH is looking at you in a whole new light, you will know the pain IS WORTH IT!!! I'd love to hear what your trainer tells you. I have never met up with one myself.

MartiesMom2B
05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Like Julie, I also love to weight training. You'd be amazed with the difference in your body. Lean muscles = very sexy. Just like Julie said ask about form. This will insure that you won't injure yourself and that you will lose. Good luck with your weight training!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm