PDA

View Full Version : Curves Gym

bnme
06-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Any Curves members out there? I'd love a review of the gym! I am thinking of joining becuase 5 months post-delevery I still am carrying 10+ lbs.

I'd also be interested to know what the membership requirements are--Do you have to purchase a full year membership or can you do month to month? I have belonged to various gyms over the past 10 yrs, and I know myself...I tend to stop going after 3 months!

SDMom
06-02-2003, 11:58 AM
I've been a member of Curves for nearly two years. There is a joining fee and monthly charge. Look for deals on the joining fee -- they are often reduced or waived. If I remember correctly, the monthly rate is cheaper if you agree to join for a year, but there is an option for a month-to-month membership.

It's a fast workout (30-minutes), but not particularly difficult or strenuous. The circuit training approach is good because you get the benefits of muscle toning weights and a cardiovascular workout. While all muscle groups are worked, I think that the abdominal workout isn't very effective. The downsides are that it can get very boring and repetitive. I've enjoyed it the most when I've gone with a friend. The atmosphere is very friendly and non-threatening. Lots of women of all ages, sizes, and fitness levels. Anyone can fit in! Overall, it's a good approach to weight-loss -- slowly and steadily building muscle.

If you travel at all and your destination has a Curves, you can workout there at no extra charge. I spent 2 weeks with my kids at my parents' home last summer. My travel pass made it super easy to workout at a different Curves.

I have to admit that I haven't attended very often lately (time, time, time!), but I hope to get back into a better routine that includes Curves this summer.

Nancy

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2003, 12:41 PM
I agree with everything Nancy said, except I got great results with the ab machines. It may depend on which machines your Curves has - there are 8 basic machines and I think 4 optional ones.

I've been a member since October 2001 and I lost 70 pounds before I got pregnant. I kept going during pregnancy and I think that helped me have an easier delivery.

It's great that it only takes 30 minutes. I can feed the baby and go work out and be home before she wakes up.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03