PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Low Calorie and Low Fat Recipes...

KimberleyDawn
06-02-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm looking for any recipes that are tasty but low in calories and fat. Please if possible list calories, fat, protein... per serving if you have the info. Also, I thought that if other people are interested we could make this a permanent post.
Thanks,
Kim

MartiesMom2B
06-02-2003, 08:27 PM
I tried this out tonight and got it from WW. It's yummy and was relatively quick to make!

Makes 4 servings (5 points)

6 oz fettuccine
2 tsp olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 c. chopped cleaned spinach
1 c. canned crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 part-skim ricotta cheese, pureed (blending this will give a smooth texture and replaces heavy cream for the cream sauce)
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

1. Cook the fettuccine according to the package directions. Drain reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a nonstick saucepan, then add the shallots. Saute until softened, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir inthe spinach, tomatoes, and salt and cook until the spinach wilts.

3. Add the fettuccine, 1/4 c. of the reserved cooking liquid and the ricotta. Cook, tossing, until heated through. If you like, add more of the cooking liquid to make the sauce creamier. Sprinkle w/ pepper and serve.

Per serving:
246 cal.
6 g fat
2 g sat. fat
9 mg Chol
217 mg Sod
39 g Carb
3 g Fib
11g Prot
140 mg Calc.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

KimberleyDawn
06-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Great recipe! I think Jeff and Chris will like this too so thanks for tonights supper idea.
Kim

JMarie
06-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Honestly, I don't use recipes and I'm terrible about counting calories! It's horrible, I know, especially when I'm trying to lose weight, but here's one of my favorite meals right now. I have no clue what the calories or any of that amounts to, but they're REALLY filling!

Healthy Tacos

1 lb either 95% lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 pkg low-sodium taco seasoning
chopped tomato
shredded lettuce (I use romaine or leaf to get dark green veggies)
chopped green onion
fat-free cheddar cheese (DH prefers 2% Milkfat)
fat-free sour cream
salsa
whole wheat tortillas (I like La Tortilla Company Low Fat/Low Carb)

Make meat according to taco seasoning packet instructions (I will drain AND rinse the meat to get rid of excess grease, at least two times). Assemble tacos as desired. Makes around 8 tacos.

I'll look for more good ones in my files - I just never use them! I'm so bad!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

celfsh
06-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Okay, I finally have a second to type up this recipe, which I copied from Cooking Light magazine several years ago. Sorry, I don't have any nutritional info, but it's definitely a light recipe. The thing I like about it is that it's showy enough for company, but easy enough to make any night of the week. Oh, and it's really yummy--even my husband likes it (except for the broccoli...he doesn't "do" vegetables).

1 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 lb. chicken breast
1 1/2 c. fresh broccoli flowerets
3/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 t. basil
1 pinch crushed red pepper
1/2 lb. bowtie pasta (cooked)
1 c. fat-free chicken broth
1 T. butter
salt and pepper

Saute garlic in olive oil for 1 minute. Add chicken. Cook until browned. Remove from pan and cut into bite-size chunks; return chicken to pan. Add broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook until tender. Add pasta, chicken broth, butter, and dried herbs. Salt and pepper to taste.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

Annette_C
06-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Kim,
I've been a subscriber to Cooking Light for years and I can tell you that they have excellent recipes! You can also check their web site ( www.cookinglight.com ) for free, healthy recipes.
HTH,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

MartiesMom2B
06-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Annette:

I just looked and now it only has unlimited access for magazine subscribers and AOL users. I'm neither :(

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

MelissaTC
06-05-2003, 09:43 PM
For a yummy snack, serve with baked chips or crudites.

Weight Watchers' Seven-Layer Mexican Dip

1 cup fat-free sour cream
2 tbsp reduced-sodium taco seasoning
9 oz fat-free bean dip
6 oz guacamole, about 3/4 cup
1/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
4 medium scallions, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
6 medium olives, black; sliced

1. Combine sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix well

2. Spread bean dip on bottom of a 12-inch round glass serving bowl or edged-platter. Top with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, scallions, tomatoes and olives. Yields about 1/4 cup dip per serving.

Serves 12
Points = 1

Baked Chips:

whole wheat pita bread

Slice pita open. Cut into triangles. Put on baking sheet and heat in oven at 350 for 5 minutes or so. Should harden and become crispy. These are YUMMY!

August Mom
06-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Four-Cheese Vegetable Lasagna

INGREDIENTS:
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Cooking spray
2 cups chopped broccoli
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot
1 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1-1/2 cups 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
Freshly ground pepper (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cook lasagna noodles, omitting salt and fat. Drain; set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add broccoli and next 4 ingredients (broccoli through garlic), and saute 7 minutes. Set aside.

Place flour in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Reserve 1/2 cup spinach mixture for top layer of casserole, and set aside.

Combine cottage cheese, mozzarella, and Swiss cheese; stir well. Spread 1/2 cup spinach mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles over spinach mixture in dish; top with half of cottage cheese mixture, half of broccoli mixture, and half of remaining spinach mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread reserved 1/2 cup spinach mixture over noodles; sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degreesF for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with pepper, if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
calories: 341 carbohydrates: 44.9 g cholesterol: 21 mg fat: 8.4 g sodium: 457 mg protein: 21.6 g calcium: 394 mg iron: 3.2 mg fiber: 3.7 g

YIELD:
8 servings

This is a Cooking Light recipe that is really tasty and satisfying.

August Mom
06-05-2003, 10:39 PM
This is so good. The roasted peppers provide a wonderful flavor. It's from a cookbook called the Low-Fat, High-Flavor Cookbook, copyright 1995 by Oxmoor House, which I highly recommend.

Pork Loin with Roasted Peppers and Penne

1 large red pepper -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large yellow pepper -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large green pepper -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large onion -- sliced in rings
cooking spray
8 ounces penne pasta
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin -- thinly sliced
1 cup fresh mushrooms -- sliced
1 large clove garlic -- minced
1 can (14.5 oz.) chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fresh basil -- slivered
2 tablespoons fresh oregano -- chopped

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Place peppers and onion in 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Coat pepper mixture with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and browned, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, set aside and keep warm.

Trim fat from pork. Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of pork slices and cook 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet, set aside and keep warm. Repeat with remaining pork. Wipe drippings from skillet with paper towel.

Coat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.

Add tomatoes and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.

Return pork slices to skillet and cook until thoroughly heated.

Remove from heat and stir in roasted pepper mixture, basil and oregano.

Combine pasta and pork mixture in large serving bowl, tossing gently.

Serves: 5

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 431 Calories (24% calories from fat); 26.9 g
Protein; 51.1 g Carbohydrate; 61 mg Cholesterol; 303 mg Sodium; 11.7 g Fat (3.6 g Saturated Fat)

August Mom
06-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Chicken with Peppers

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
salt
black pepper -- freshly ground
2 medium red peppers -- slivered
1 medium green pepper -- slivered
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
2 medium jalapeno peppers -- finely chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 cup low sodium chicken broth

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the chicken breastsand cook over moderate heat until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, season with salt and pepper and keep warm.

Add bell peppers, onion, jalapenos, garlic and chicken stock to the
skillet. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Return the chicken to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer chicken to plates and top with bell pepper sauce.

Serves: 4

Per serving: 228 Calories (kcal); 5.6 gm Total Fat; .9 gm Saturated Fat; 35 gm Protein; 8 gm Carbohydrate; 82 mg Cholesterol

This is a Food & Wine recipe in the Low-Fat Cooking section.

Serving Idea: This chicken is great served with Baked Rice with Chickpeas.

Baked Rice with Chickpeas

3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes -- chopped or 1 (14.5 oz.) can chopped tomato
1 cup chickpeas -- rinsed & drained
1 teaspoon paprika
pinch saffron (optional)
1 cup medium-grain rice
salt
black pepper -- freshly ground

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth just to a boil over
moderately high heat.

In a small, oven-safe casserole, heat the oil. Add the garlic and stir over moderate heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, paprika and saffron and bring to a simmer.

Stir in the rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the hot chicken broth and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.

Cover the casserole and bake for about 15 minutes, until most of the
liquid has been absorbed and the rice is almost tender.

Remove from oven and let stand, covered, until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.

Serves 4 (I actually think that there are more like 6-8 servings, but the nutritional analysis is for 4)

Per serving: 292 Calories (kcal); 6 gm Total Fat; .6 gm Saturated Fat; 9g Protein; 50 gm Carbohydrate; 0 mg Cholesterol;

August Mom
06-05-2003, 11:05 PM
This is great if you are craving something sweet. VERY tasty. It can easily be used as a dessert.

Raspberry-Almond Coffeecake

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup fresh raspberries
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons stick margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon skim milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine raspberries and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.

Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg in a small bowl; stir well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon two-thirds of batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray; spread evenly. Top with raspberry mixture. Spoon remaining batter over raspberry mixture; top with almonds.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; stir well. Drizzle over cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
calories: 176 (23% from fat); carbohydrates: 30.4 g; cholesterol: 28 mg; fat: 4.5 g (sat. 1 g, mono 1.9 g, poly 1.2 g); sodium: 131 mg; protein: 3.5 g; calcium: 59 mg; iron: 1.1 mg; fiber: 1.7g

YIELD:
8 servings

Another great recipe from Cooking Light.

friedmana1
06-15-2003, 03:00 AM
Celeste - thanks for the recipe! I tried this tonight for my family and they loved it!

Aimee

Mother to Leah 10/26/02

celfsh
06-20-2003, 09:36 AM
You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02