PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, may I join you?

Kate888
06-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone :) I finally got the courage up to join this wonderful forum!! It's time for me to get real LOL!!

First, to confess...I've been a member of LifeTime Fitness for 6 months, and I've never really worked out there!!! The only times I'd been there was to get the membership card, check out the Child Care center and get the complimentary fitness assessment. It's a waste of money, I know. But everytime I stepped in there, I was SO intimidated! Those fitness equipments looked so foreign to me and I had the feeling that everyone was staring at me (not true, I know ;). If you had the same fear as me, how did you conquer that?

It's so nice to find a group supportive moms here :) I hope I can get my lazy butt off the chair and start moving!

Thanks for listening!!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

MartiesMom2B
06-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Kate welcome! The more the merrier.

I know how you feel about all of the exercise equipment. I bet if you take one of the people who work there aside and tell them how you feel they'll show you how everything works. It's not like we're born knowing how a bench press works. Can you take some classes there too? That's what I used to be deathly afraid of when I went to the gym, but I was hoping that everyone would just concentrate of themselves. I found that when I peeked at other people working out they were either concentrating on themselves or talking to someone and not paying me any attention. Are you a stay at home mom? I found when you go to the gym in the midmorning that it's usually seniors in there, so it's less intimidating and there are less people around.

Good luck and join us in our weekly postings!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

KimberleyDawn
06-04-2003, 08:47 AM
WELCOME! As you have probably read in my introductory post I'm here for the long haul and look forward to sharing stories, feelings and bitch sessions with you during our journey to healthiness. :)
Kim

celfsh
06-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi, Kate! Welcome! I don't have a gym membership anymore, but when I did I was like you--I felt super intimidated when I first started going. There's really no need to feel that way, though. Like Sonia said, people are mostly concentrating on themselves and probably won't even notice you. And besides that, most of them probably feel just as clueless as you do, so try not to psych yourself out too much! Also, one thing that helped me is to have one of the "trainers" there show me how to use each of the machines properly. Don't be afraid to ask for help--that's what those people are there for, right?

Anyway, HTH a little. Good luck, and we're glad to have you!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

MelissaTC
06-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi! I recently joined a ladies gym and love it. I am surrounded by other SAHMs working off their baby weight or in my case, weight that I didn't gain with the baby but afterwards!! I was showed what to do. You should definitely ask for help.

Slow and steady wins the race. I do 20 minutes on the treadmill. I do the cardio program. I always start at the level I did the previous time and up it by 1 after 5 minutes. After that, I do 10 minutes on the stationary bike. I up it a level every time I go. If I can only do 3 minutes at the new level, I go back down to the level I was at the time before.

I do some free weights and stretches and that is it. So far, I have lost 2 lbs but I feel better.

Glad to see that others are here too! Nice to know I am not alone :)

Kate888
06-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone :) :) I really appreciate your support!! DD hates the child care center at the gym, so I can only go there when DH is at home. I finally decided yesterday that I'm going to work out after DD goes to bed at night (around 8:30 pm). Hope this works out!

A ladies gym is a great idea!! Wish I knew that when I jointed mine...

Thanks again for giving me the courage to get started!!!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02