PDA

View Full Version : I just discovered the elliptical trainer!

JMarie
06-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Well, the treadmill was causing problems for my shins and I felt horrible that I couldn't run without pain. The new Fitness magazine said it was a better workout than the tread anyway, so I tried it and I LOVED it! Besides the fact that I can burn over 200 calories in 15 minutes, it doesn't hurt my knees or shins in the least. I can't believe I never used one before, but I will be using one from now on. It was such a great workout - if you belong to a gym or have access to one of these machines, I highly recommend it.

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

JulieL
06-06-2003, 08:02 AM
When I had a YMCA membership I was scared by this machine, but I finally got over it and jumped on. It's a little weird at first but a great workout for sure!

KimberleyDawn
06-06-2003, 09:06 AM
I've been avoiding THAT MACHINE at my gym and sticking with the bike and tm but maybe I'll give it a try when I go on Monday.
Kim

MartiesMom2B
06-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Jennifer:

I loved the elliptical machine when I was at the gym. I liked it better than the stair stepper because its easier on the legs. Try going on it in a backwards motion for a better workout too!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

celfsh
06-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Jenn,

I also loved the elliptical trainer at the gym--much lower impact than running on the treadmill and still a fabulous workout.

BTW, sounds like you've been working hard, girl! Just reading your posts make me tired! :) Hope you knock 'em dead at your reunion! Keep us posted!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

lukkykatt
06-06-2003, 01:20 PM
I just discovered the elliptical trainer too, and it was right in my own home! DH got one about 6 months ago and I pointedly ignored it. For some reason, it looked intimidating to me. I just started using it about 2 weeks ago. It is a great way to sneak in a quick work out!

I was hoping that the calorie counter was accurate!

JMarie
06-08-2003, 10:07 PM
I asked my trainer about that - I just couldn't believe it would burn THAT many calories! Well, the ones at our gym also read your heartrrate, so as long as I stay in my 'target' zone, it's pretty accurate. Obviously, it doesn't take into account height and age, but it's good within 20 calories or so. That's good enough for me!

BTW - the reunion went very well. My classmates could not believe I just had a baby 4 months ago (I think they were being just a little nice, though...). I squeezed in a half-hour workout in the hotel fitness room, so I was quite proud of myself. I ate terribly though...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

Annette_C
06-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Jennifer,
I always had a treadmill in the house but, after the last one died, I decided I needed a change. I just bought an elliptical trainer and can't wait to start using it (I didn't receive it yet).
I'm hoping this will be the thing to blast the 10 extra lbs of souvenir from my pregnancy!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02