PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it!!

MKH76
06-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Dh was nice enough to say his Mon, Wed and Fri nights are guy nights. Meaning I get to go to the gym and he plays with the baby. I went for the first time Monday. I was okay with my whole treadmill thing. Then went to the weight machines. I was intimidated by all these really fit people who where lifting tons of weight and looked great in their workout clothes, and then there was me, 15 lbs overweight and wearing baggy sweats. I went home.

My DH is very supportive and I told him how stupid I felt and he encouraged me to go back last night. I went and had a great work out. I didn't care what anyone else was doing, and I was so focused on what I was doing I wasn't even aware that anyone else was there.

I just thought I would share. I know I'm not the only one easily intimidated by other people, especially at the gym.

JMarie
06-18-2003, 12:22 PM
What a great thing for your husband to do and good for you for getting started. Don't worry about feeling intimidated - I am the same way. All these women who look 100 times better than me at the gym just make me feel like a whale! I would see if your gym has a personal trainer available to help you get started. I actually contracted with one because I needed the motivation and huge kick-in-the-butt that he provides, but they also have programs where a trainer just walks you through each machine, how they work, and the correct form. After that you're on your own. Also, if you know of anyone else who goes to your gym, maybe you can be workout buddies. My friend and I go together and it is a HUGE motivator for us to keep going. You always have someone to encourage you and also to tell you when you're over-doing it. Besides, on those weights, it's great to have a spotter. Good luck!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

celfsh
06-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Good for you! Please keep us posted on your progress!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

houseof3boys
06-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Keep it up and in another week you won't feel intimidated at all! It is getting started that is the hardest part.

Good for you!

MKH76
06-23-2003, 01:06 AM
I've lost 2 lbs!!! Yippee!!!

MartiesMom2B
06-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Hooray, keep us posted and motivate others by joining our weekly post!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03