PDA

View Full Version : Did you gain or lose weight when you stopped breastfeeding?

stella
06-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Or neither? I nursed ds until I discovered (what a surprise!) that I was pregnant when he was 9 months old. Therefore, I was never able to find out if my body was storing some fat for feeding the baby.

I'm pretty close to stopping nursing dd - we're just not as quiet and home as much as we were when she was smaller. And she's eating a LOT of baby food. Doesn;t seem to need me as much anymore - she's 7 months.

SO I'm hopeful that I won't be as hungry and that there is some weight that has been hanging aaround that will come off.

Any experience in this??

JulieL
06-23-2003, 09:20 PM
My hunger didn't go away after I stopped BFing. I had been use to eating more during pregnancy and while BFing for 9 months. So I had to "wean" myself from my large portions. It took a month to get use to but is totally achievable. As far as weight loss it was a few lbs, about 3. But I know the weight loss from stopping BFing really does vary from woman to woman. So that's my experiance.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-24-2003, 10:44 AM
The first time, I did lose weight when he weaned at 13 months. But I also started exercising that same week, and trying to watch what I eat, so that may have had something to do with it.

This time, I seem to be holding on to 9 pounds even though I am exercising and eating the same as I was when pregnant. I am about to start Atkins on the weight loss level again to see what happens.

Some women gain weight when they stop breastfeeding because they continue to eat the same amount of food just out of habit.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mattysmom
06-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Are you starting atkins while breastfeeding? i'd love to find a way to lose these last 10lb (of 40) that won't seem to go away (it's been 4 months now)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Yes, I have been on Atkins all through the pregnancy, on the Maintenance level. I have now dropped back down to the Ongoing Weight Loss level, just this week.

I read a link to an answer from Dr. Hale about ketones in the milk and he said he didn't think it would be a problem.

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discus/messages/53/187.html?1052170264

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Calmegja
07-05-2003, 09:45 AM
I lose all my pregnancy weight, save 7 pounds, until I am done nursing.

I'm on baby #4, and within a month of stopping nursing, the extra weight falls off every time, and every time, by about 10 months PP, I am down to those last 7 pounds. It doesn't matter if I exercise aggressively, watch what I eat, or whatever I do. That's just how I am after babies...

So right now, I am a close fascimile of what my pre-pregnancy self looks like, but I won't be 100% until my son weans....