PDA

View Full Version : Decided to try Atkins..any advice?

Annette_C
07-25-2003, 11:21 PM
I give up!! My body doesn't respond to diet and exercise like it used to so....I need a change!
I've heard great success stories from the Atkins followers and, since I've never tried that one before, I would like to give it a try.
I know Karen is familiar with the program and, in addition to Karen, can anyone offer any tips or advice?
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Susann
07-25-2003, 11:34 PM
I tried Atkins, too but it lasted only a couple of hours. Maybe because caffeine is not allowed...
I did the Curves diet which is pretty similar to Atkins but a little more flexible. I lost 29 lbs in 2 mos! And I had thought, after trying everything, that I just can't loose weight anymore, that there is something wrong with my system!

Good luck

Susann

stillplayswithbarbies
07-26-2003, 12:59 PM
I didn't think about that when we spoke yesterday, Annette, but Susan's suggestion about the Curves diet is a good one. The low carb option of the diet is similar to Atkins, and they have a low calorie option too. There is probably a Curves near you, it's a great workout, quick and easy.

My biggest tip, once you know what you can eat, is to make sure and have good foods on hand so you can grab an easy snack when you are hungry. You should never be hungry on Atkins, when you are hungry, eat something. I find that if I let myself get hungry, I tend to eat the wrong things because they are easy to fix or easy to buy. (bag of chips)

It's a real change of mindset to go from trying to eat low calorie low fat all your life to eating low carb. Your mind will balk at the amount of fat in the things you will be eating. (steak, cheese, butter) You have to be ready to accept that what you have been told all your life is incorrect for some people and forget the "Food Pyramid" that the FDA has been teaching us for decades.

As for giving up caffeine . . . well, caffeine is not good for anyone who is trying to lose weight on any type of diet. I read once that the caffeine is like an adreneline burst to the body, which the body usually experiences as a result of a "fight or flight" instinct so it is the body gearing up to use the muscles. But then when you drink caffeine and don't need that burst of energy, it somehow gets stored as fat instead of being burned as energy.

Low carb does not work for everyone. In the Curves book, they have a questionaire that helps you determine if low carb will work for you or if low calorie is better.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Annette_C
07-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies.
I guess I should learn a little more about the diet before making my final decision.
Karen, you're right. It's tough to change your mindset when you're used to eating low calorie (read: starving yourself!).
We have a Curves in Southbury but I can't join right now...I just have too many things on my plate! I work out at home evryday and done it for years but I can't commit to going to a place to do it.
Thanks for the info....maybe I should try a low carb not necessarily Atkins.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

stillplayswithbarbies
07-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Sugar Busters is easier to follow, in my opinion, because it allows whole grains. It's nice to be able to make a sandwich and eat on the run sometimes. The Sugar Busters book does a better job of explaining how our bodies digest and use carbs and why a low carb diet works.

I did something closer to Sugar Busters while I was pregnant.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

dogmom
08-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Yes, I second the "try another low carb diet" instead of Atkins. I just think that going on the Atkins is too much a shock to your system after being pregnant. I would never have any energy if I didn't eat carbs. My brain cells need all the glucose they can get to function! I would recommend reading about the Zone Diet. It is a 40-30-30 plan, 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein. It also makes a difference between good, best, and worst sources of carbs, protein & fat. I think of all the low carbohydrate diets it is the one that makes the most sense and has the most scientific research behind it. As I nurse you will never convince me the all bacon-cream-saturated fat thing is a good idea. I started a modified Zone diet about a month ago to help my DH loose weight and lower cholesterol. He's lost 20, but he's skippin lunch, no fair! I lost 3 lbs, which is a lot since I am still BF. That actually puts me below my pre-pregnancy weight, which was high. I also cheat more than he does because I'm not on it to loose weight.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Everyone has to find what works for them and what they are comfortable with. It is a misconception that Atkins is a "no carb" diet. Atkins includes carbs, and does include fruits and vegetables. In the later stages, it also includes grains.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03