PDA

View Full Version : working out while pregnant

MKH76
08-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Did any of you continue with your exercise routine while pregnant, and how did that work for you? I currently go to the gym 3 night a week. Do a little cardio, then tone with weights. I'm 7 weeks along now and I haven't gone to the gym in almost two weeks because I've been so nauseated that I was worried about burning too many calories, because I know I'm not eating enough (does that make sense?). So I am thinking about forgetting about the gym and getting out my prenatal yoga tapes from the last time. As far as cardio, I hike three times a week with my neighbor (in Alaska, it's REAL hiking!!) I know, I know, check with my doctor (we discuss this on a daily basis, since I work for the only group of doctors on the island) They tell me I'm doing fine, and encouraged the hiking/yoga vs the gym...less of a chance for me to hurt myself.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-09-2003, 04:55 PM
I continued my usual routine right up until the day before I delivered. (I did slack off some around 8 weeks when I was so very tired, but I still went once a week at least, and quickly got back to my usual 3 times a week.) I resumed at 3 weeks postpartum, but took it easy on anything that stressed the ab area.

I am convinced this is why I had such an easy delivery and recovery.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lukkykatt
08-09-2003, 07:43 PM
I took a pre-natal exercise class and loved it! It was great getting together with other pg ladies. We also did alot of ab work with exercise balls (crunches, etc. but going backward on the ball so we were never flat on our backs). I think that made such a big difference during my delivery - even the nurse asked what I had done to prepare.

Besides that, just did alot of walking. As long as you are having a routine pregnancy, and you check your routine with your doctors, you should be fine. Have fun!

MKH76
08-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had an emergency C-section with the first and I have already been told that I will be having a C-section with this one. I live on an island, they don't do VBAC. So I am looking to keep overall fit for a rough recovery.

Any one try THE FIRM? I've been thinking about it instead of the gym.

calmar
08-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Hi! I continued running throughout my pregnancy. I cut back at around 7 months to just 3 days a week and was able to keep this up to 37 weeks. I delivered the following week. Please do continue to exercise if your doctor OKs it. It definitely helps with delivery and recovery. Good luck.

heidi_timms
08-11-2003, 02:20 AM
I teach aerobics and spinning and taught 4 classes per week, up until 2 weeks before I delivered. Boy was I tired those last few weeks. I knew there would be a point where my body would just say "no more"! As long as your doctor says it's okay, I would work out as long as you feel okay doing it. I felt healthier and I believe that the exercise helped me have an easier delivery.

I started up again 5 weeks I delivered and was amazed how easy it was to do aerobics without lugging around a baby! LOL!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

aggie202
08-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Regarding THE FIRM--it rocks. I haven't tried many of the newer tapes but I have some older ones that are called "Tortise" and "Hare" meaning that one tape is slow and heavy weights while the other is fast and light.

I did them religiously combined with some other FIRM tapes for about a year and was never in better shape--minus my school sports days. I wore skirts so short, Marcia Brady would have been envious.

I'm 8 months preggo and am planning on getting the stuff from the latest infomercials in order to get in shape post-baby. If you get them, please post and let me know what you think.