PDA

View Full Version : Posting for week 8/18

JulieL
08-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Well the sinus infection set in and I didn't do much this week. I did manage to run twice which is good. I think I am running around 2.5 to 3 miles a run, which is an increase for me. I know I can run farther, and I am shooting for that. My goal this fall is to wittle down my belly. So I am going to try to make sure I get in two ab work outs a week. I should be able to do that! Now I feel better and the antibotics have done their job I hope to have a good week this one!

khakismom
08-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Not a hot week for me either. Stayed the same at my weigh-in--I have been eating too much and not writing it down. Worked out 4 times--and they were struggles. But I have regrouped and re-motivated! Julie, when you posted in another message about shrinking your waistline, what did you do and how long did it take you? Thanks! You are such a help and motivator for me! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen 6/4/03

JulieL
08-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Maureen,
Oh, it definatley did take me quite a while to decrease my waistline. It mainly came down with cardio, pure sweat! The thing is I never have been much one keeping up with ab work, something I am going to work on, darnit!!! Anyway, basically you have to burn over all fat. You just can't spot reduce, I wish we could, so I could have hips and thighs of a goddess!!! But with overall fat reduction you will see your waist decrease in size. My recommendation is to measure upper waist and lower waist (being around the belly button) and over time see it decrease with persistant working out. Of course do ab work outs to for added muscle!!! Maybe over time we both will have abs of steel!!!

khakismom
08-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks!! Abs of steel? LOL! It will definitely have to be over time, becase after 2 kids, I have abs of jelly! :) All my workouts are pretty much all cardio with weights alternating upper one day and lower the next--and I have noticed my clothes are looser. But I always seem to neglect my abs. I never remember to do them. So when I do remember, I'm doing them at home. You mentioned the Firm video for abs. Would you recommend this? Do I have to buy it as total Firm package or can I get it alone? I guess I'm asking for any ab video/dvd recommendation--something I can do at home 2-3 days per week. TIA!!! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen 6/4/03

JulieL
08-25-2003, 03:47 PM
I am sure you can order it from the Firm by itself on www.firmdirect.com, but they have higher prices there. Check out Wal-mart or Sam's Club they might have them. Another suggestion is Denise Austin has an ab video w/three small workouts about 10 minutes each, and you can find that anywhere. With all this info you'd think I would have abbs of steel, guess we know who is lazy!!!

MartiesMom2B
08-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Hey Ladies.

Last week was good. I lost 5 lbs so after my gain from the previous week I've lost 3 more pounds. Hopefully that scale will go down again. But I think I might have used up my 35 extra points already :( Darn tollhouse cookies! I did the Firm abs yesterday and it hurts.

Maureen - the scale goes down and up again at WW. Don't worry. I'm sure that after you are on the program for a little while your weight loss will average b/n 1 - 2lbs a week, which is the healthy rate for weight loss. Also I saw videos for the Firm at BJs too and you could send in for the fanny lifter.

I hope cleaning counts as a work out b/c I'm going to be doing a lot of that as well as packing these next few weeks. September is devoted to decluttering and cleaning while October will be devoted to actually packing. Julie how did you do it with a baby around?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Annette_C
08-26-2003, 10:08 PM
Hi ladies!
I worked out 5 x last week but, since my birthday was on the 21st, we were partying all weekend! Oh well...at least I didn't gain!
Maureen and Julie...about abs of steel:
It IS possible! Don't lose hope just because you had kids! I had two kids when I decided to lose weight. With diet and exercise, I lost 45 lbs in 3 months! Plus, I had ABS OF STEEL...despite two pregnancies! I kept them (and the weight off) for 20 yrs. You can do it too!
I'll give you a great tip for ab work throughout the day:
Be always conscious of your abs and keep them squeezed tight everytime you remember (if you squeeze your butt cheeks tight and under, your stomach will contract harder). Remind yourself all the times! Imagine you're wearing a tight-fitting, sexy dress in public and you are holding your stomach in so you look better. The more you do this, the more it becomes second nature!
You will find yourself holding your stomach in all the times without noticing and that will help you get Abs of Steel! I promise!!! Try it!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

khakismom
08-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Congrats on the fabulous loss Sonia! And thank you Sonia and Annette for your words of encouragement! You have no idea how motivating and soothing they are. :) My daily struggle is the realization that this is not short-term, but a looooong journey. In the past, I've seen results and then stopped part-way before reaching my goal. This time does feel different. I read somewhere that it takes you 21 days of doing something before it becomes a habit. And I am definitely there with the working out. On days I don't go to the gym, I feel tired and sluggish. I just need to get there with food and remember that it's a lifestyle change--not something temporary. :)

Thank you everyone on this forum for posting and talking about this--especially your weight loss accomplishments. It helps so much! :)

JulieL
08-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Annette,
You are my hero!!! Yes abs of steel, I want them!!! I'll have to try contracting my gut as much as possible!!!

Sonia,
Congrats on your weight loss! Don't see what you still have to do, see what you have accomplished!!!

Talk to you all soon!!!!!!!!!!!

lukkykatt
08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Last week was good for me - I walked 2x, did the eliptical trainer 2x and Abs of Steel 1x. This week, not so good - I need to get started!

I did turn down brownies at a gf's house today though - a HUGE accomplishment for me! And I am holding in my stomach as I type...must get Abs of Steel!