PDA

View Full Version : Posting Week 9/15

JulieL
09-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Hello!

Well, I kinda sluffed off last week. I did one day of ab work. Then I did two days of The Firm. Ending the week with Body Scuplt, so since I am sssoooorrrreeee today I figure it still was an effective week.

DH and I went to a wedding on saturday and DS went to spend the night at the grandparents house. Ahh talk about some much needed adult time!!! I am still thinking about it today!

I will do better this week and will get my three days of ab work done. I had two days last week as one of The Firm videos ended with ab work.

How are you doing?

MartiesMom2B
09-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Well I've finally dealt with my dependency on chocolate chip cookies and now have light popcorn as my after dinner snack. It's actually more filling than cookies, but it's a good snack to eat.

I don't remember how many times I did the Firm, but I do remember having sore muscles. I'm running around today but will get back to the videos tomorrow. I've taken to doing the cardio video one day, and then 1/2 body sculpt and abs then next and so on.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone else.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

AngelaS
09-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Last week was good. I did the Nordic Track 5 times--2 days of 2 miles and 3 days of 2.5 miles. :)

This week I'm having a HARD time getting motivated! I didn't make it quite two miles this morning and was REALLY frustrated. (I had to go potty SO bad, I couldn't finish! LOL)

I think part of my 'why am I doing this' is hitting me. I've been working out 4 or 5 times a week, doing at least 2 miles at a time, working up a SERIOUS sweat, being WAY more careful in what I eat, so why aren't my jeans looser??? I just got them out over the weekend and honestly, they don't fit any looser than they did in the spring when I retired them in favor of shorts! GRRRRR!

khakismom
09-22-2003, 02:46 PM
My weeks are getting worse--I'm going in the wrong direction! DH was out of town almost all week and all last weekend so getting to the gym is a no-go. Therefore my eating suffered too. But I am back on the track for this week. Hubby finally came home and I went to the gym yesterday and today. It felt like I hadn't been there in weeks when in reality it was 5 days. So 4 miles running/walking yesterday and 4 miles today. I am working toward 5 days of gym time and better eating!

JulieL
09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Angela,
I have a few ideas that may or may not be helpful. Also I have a few questions for you as well.
First off I would assume even though you are working out a lot that you are not working off the calories you are taking in. You say you eat well and watch what you eat. I believe you, but I wonder if you know what to watch out for. One HUGE misconception many of us have it that low in fat means low in sugar, not so. Check on the sugar grams you are taking in per yogurt, or jello pudding. This was a big wake up call for me. Some of the things I was eating that I thought were healthy were not. Another thing is, are you eating healthy foods but large portions? How long have you been consistently (and be honest here) been working out 3 plus times a week? Has been 6 plus weeks? Do you ever work out with weights? Here is a statistic many women do not know. Once a women reaches 25 she will lose 5 lbs of muscle each decade if you do not weight train your muscles. This means (sorry if this sounds like I am simplifying to much, I just want to know you and others understand what this means, I am not trying to say you couldn’t figure this out yourself) 5 lbs of muscle turns into 5 lbs of fat. Many women over the age of 65 have a hard time picking up anything over 12 lbs. because of this. Doing cardio workouts is not enough for someone in there mid 20’s and older. If you do weight training (I do The Firm videos w/dumb bells) 2 times a week you will see good results over 6 weeks. If you do it 3 times a week over 6 weeks you will see obvious results! If you do these things and still are not losing weight you will want to consult your doctor. There has to be a reason you metabolism is so low, which may be why you are not losing weight. By the way weight training is PROVEN to increase you metabolism, any doctor will agree. It could be, I stress the could, that you are hypo thyroid. Many women have thyroid problems in adulthood. I would strongly suggest you consult your doctor and get your thyroid levels tested, if you are saying yes to all of these things. So that is my advice and a place to start at. Hope this helps out! And don’t give up, your to special to give up on yourself now!!!

JMarie
09-23-2003, 04:02 PM
I worked out twice last week, since we were heading for a trip to visit my family. I'm still frustrated at not losing weight, so that's really showing up in my diet - I'm certainly not eating the way I should. I'm even taking measurements and they're not budging either. I'm meeting with my doctor this week and a nutritionist either next week or the one after, just to make sure there's not some other reason I'm not losing weight. I'm just discouraged...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

lukkykatt
09-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks to the motivation I have gotten here, I am happy to report that I worked out 5 times last week. Only did ab work twice though - I need to get that up to at least 3 times per week.

I am really hoping to be able to get into my "regular" jeans by the time our cool weather arrives. A girl can dream... Thanks ladies - you are the best.

AngelaS
09-24-2003, 06:20 AM
Thanks Julie!

Sugar is something that calls my name. :D I have definitely cut my portion sizes--no more between meals snacks and no more seconds. :) I do enjoy a small bowl of ice cream after supper tho. I've cut WAAAY back on yogurt--18 grams of sugar--YIKES! and have given up my daily caffiene free Coke (I now drink about 1 per week).

So, I have indeed cut back on what I'm eating, but maybe I'll go back to writing it all down for a few days.

I don't do any weight training. I have the TaeBo tapes---do they use weights at all? I haven't done them yet since I've been in a good groove on the NT. :D

FWIW---I'm 30 and I've been working out 25 to 35 minutes on the NT FIVE stinkin' times a week. That should be doing something, right???

Thanks for the advice! Think I should go get my thyroid checked?

JulieL
09-24-2003, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't worry about your thyroid if there are still measures you can take to cut back on unnessessary calories. As we women age our metabolism just slows down naturally. But I can promise you that cardio is not enough for your body now. I have never done TaeBo before so I don't know if weights are used. I really encourage you to try weight training for 6 weeks, twice a week and you will see a measurable differance. Remember when weight training the scale doesn't always budge, but boy do you fit into those jeans better! Yes your nordic track is doing something good. But it's like giving your body just vegetables. Well your body needs calcium as well. Does that make sence. I use The Firm videos but there are other good workout videos that include weights too, that may be cheaper. But if you happen to be at the doctors office it is not a bad idea to ask about if you should get your thyroid checked. Since it is so common in women this wouldn't be an unusual thing to ask about. If you do pick up the weights; measure your waist, upper thigh and hips. Then at the end of the six weeks measure yourself again. If you have been steadily working out you will see the measurements decrease! I know I have seen it in myself! Good luck!!!

MartiesMom2B
09-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Tae Bo does not use weights. It will build some muscle, but its not the same as weight training. I used to have a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do and I did get some nice muscles and great flexibility.

When Martie is older, I think we will all try to get back into martial arts. It's a lot of fun and a total body workout.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

liya
09-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Heyyyy i want to come and kick some a$$ as well...lol it is alot of fun i used to be into Aikido and Kickboxing.