PDA

View Full Version : How soon post-preg did you start to work out?

new_mommy25
09-29-2003, 02:00 PM
It's been three weeks and two days since my son was born. At the hospital my ob told me no exercise until she saw me at my 6 week check up. But I feel really great and I have this strong urge to work out. The past week I've been putting Noah in the stroller or Bjorn and taking walks but I know its going to start getting cold soon. I don't want to do anything strenuous, maybe just a yoga video or some 2pound weights. And crunches, lots of crunches. Do you think it would be ok to do some very light exercise or should I just lay off and wait three more weeks until I see my doc?

kfcboston
09-29-2003, 02:39 PM
I was told the same and I felt the same, but I stuck to it b/c I had a c-section and was overambitious at first too. Learned my lesson quick. Last thing you want is a bad backache in those early weeks (or ever, I suppose!) If you decide to test the waters, I suggest being cautious. Good luck!

JulieL
09-29-2003, 06:37 PM
I know you feel ok, but doctors say to wait 6 weeks for a very good reason. Your body is still healing. After my 6 weeks I felt fine and went out for a jog. I ran 1/4 a mile and that was it. When I got home I found that it caused me to start bleeding again. And I bled for another week or so, big bummer. My suggestion is to take your doctors suggestion and only walk for now. You have your whole life ahead of you to give your all. But for now give your body a good solid rest before you jossle things up!

houseof3boys
09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
just chill for a little longer! If you overdo it, you will start bleeding again. I would just do a light walk at the most since you are up for it. I bled for 5 weeks so I did NOTHING until 7 weeks. I am glad that you have so much energy though!

new_mommy25
09-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks all. The LAST thing I want is to start bleeding, so II will take your advice and take it easy.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-04-2003, 12:30 PM
I started back at 3 weeks because, like you, I felt fine and felt ready. I only did the arm machines for the next two weeks and gradually added the leg machines and abs.

I did not have an increase in bleeding or anything, but I would have stopped or cut way back if I did. By 6 weeks I was back to my regular routine of going to Curves three days a week.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

heidi_timms
10-06-2003, 11:04 PM
I went back at week 5. I felt good at week 3-4, but I was still bleeding pretty heavily so I took it easy. The bleeding finally tapered off at week 7-8. I would definitely wait a little while longer.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

ross.patchin
10-16-2003, 12:38 PM
I felt the same way. My baby was born 9/4/03 and I have been walking for about 2 weeks. It feels great to get out. I too am anxious to get going, I have contemplated sit ups and the elipse but I am holding off until next week when I go in for my check up with the doctor. My girlfriend told me that is very important because the doctor will check for clots and excercise with clots is very bad. Good Luck.