PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the Firm

AngelaS
10-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Okay, you're ALL doing the Firm around here and I'm feeling a bit left out. LOL My flabby butt and chunky thighs need some work and a good friend of mine was just telling me about how much The Firm has done for those parts of her.

So....where'd you get your set? How much was it? Is it hard? Or can a beginner pick it up? (let's just say, I SUCK at TaeBo!!)

Pros and Cons please.... :D

MartiesMom2B
10-17-2003, 08:05 AM
I have the Firm and I must say:

Pros: It'll definitely work
Cons: If I only do it (ha ha)

I have Tae Bo and will can get through most of it except when you are supposed to balance on one leg and kick sideways.

I think the Firm is easy to follow (at least the weight training part). Most of the cardio is easy to follow, but I'm clumsy at step aerobics so I can't get through some of it. It's very challenging and you will be sore afterwards!

I got my set at Target with three videos and the fanny lifter at Target for about $80.00. You also have to buy dumbbells. The cheapest place to get them in play it again sports (if you have one near by). They charge by the pound.

The one thing about the Firm though, is that I find that I don't do one of the tapes that much b/c I can't stand the way the instructor talks (Jen Carmen). It's probably just me though.

Sonia, who needs to take a picture in bathing suit for workout motivation &
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

JulieL
10-17-2003, 03:12 PM
I have been using The Firm for a year now and have seen great results.

Pros:
It is very effective for gaining muscle.
It is very effective for burning fat.
The weight lifting is easy to follow.
A nice mix of variety.
The fanny lifter is extremely effective for working the thighs & butt!!!
You combind areobics w/weight training so you don't have to make yourself do one or the other just do one video!

Cons:
Sometimes it is hard to gear yourself up for such a long workout, average 60 minutes.
The areobics could be cued just a little better. Maybe that's my problem. I too am not cordinated!!! Dur!:P

I love these videos and have both systems. If you have any questions just ask away!

emmasmama
10-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Sonia, did you just recently get it at Target? Is this the new one? For a while I was toying with ordering it from the firm website, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. If it's at Target that would be much more tempting than paying all that shipping and handling!

JulieL
10-21-2003, 12:24 PM
I know that you can buy it at Galyans and Sports Authority. That definately keeps of shipping and handling costs. Not sure about Target. And it is not the newest one, system 2. But it is the system 1 that they are selling. I love both systems and think either is a good way to go.

MartiesMom2B
10-22-2003, 04:28 PM
I got it last May. They might still have it. I got it in the exercise section. It's not the newest one with the stick. It's the first set which is a pretty good workout.

Sonia

houseof3boys
10-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Geez, why did I even read this thread?! I now feel fat and lazy when you guys are just "firming" (pun intended) it up over here in the land of the MommyFIT boards.

I guess I may have to check it out at Target next time. :P

MartiesMom2B
10-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Oh yes Debbi,

If you saw my stomach you'd see how UN-firm it is. LOL. Fricken fracken flab-ola is what I have.

Sonia

lmariana
10-27-2003, 11:25 AM
If you're still interested, Target is now carrying both systems, Firm and Firm 2, for $59.99. I just picked mine up yesterday, and I'm excited about getting started! I couldn't find the low price online, but they had it for the low price in the stores. It's not a sale price either. :)

Mariana
Mother of Gabe, 10 weeks old

emmasmama
10-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Thanks Mariana - that's a much better price! Do you remember - does the Firm 2 come with the fanny lifter thing, or the weighted bar? Or is that price just for the tapes?

lmariana
10-27-2003, 03:31 PM
THE FIRM 2 comes with three videos, the sculpting stick, and an *offer* for the fanny lifter. That's what I bought. I did the video for the first time today and you also need the Fanny Lifter for the exercises, which I didn't know. Just a heads up! Knowing that you need the fanny lifter for the workout, I might have just gone with the original Firm set. Hope this helps!

Mariana

emmasmama
10-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Okay, good to know... although I'm thinking that they do sell "steps" at Target I think that you can use to work out, or maybe even just one of those rubber, no-skid step stools? Not sure what the exact height is on the fanny lifter. Maybe one of the other Firm ladies can measure it for you, so you can get roughly the same size?