PDA

View Full Version : Ugh - feeling sooooo unmotivated...

mamahill
10-22-2003, 11:30 AM
I hate this feeling. I've been sick for about a month now - sinus infection off and on, and now the congestion has kicked back in and my ears seem to be plugged up. This isn't supposed to be a "poor me" post, so much as a plea for help. Can some of you rub your motivation off on me. The only thing I've done in the last 3 weeks to make me feel good about my body is wax my legs (and subsequently a rash broke out on the back of my upper legs - yuck). Ah well, at least that cellulite is smooth, eh?

MartiesMom2B
10-22-2003, 01:13 PM
I need some motivation too. I feel like a blubbery mess. All the motivation I have is to pack and take a nap in the afternoon.

Edited to add: I've discovered that the fuel for my motivation is snickers fun bars and chocolate chip cookies. Help me I'm so weak!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

celfsh
10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Sarah,

I sooo know what you mean! I have felt like a total slug since I've been sick. What got me motivated to finally start working out again this week was a new workout DVD that I checked out from the library. It is called "Bellydancing for Fitness" or something like that. Okay, so I have to admit that I look, shall we say, less than sultry while doing it, but it so much fun! Plus, the workout is only, like, 30 minutes long (although still a challenge), which makes it easier for me to commit to doing it in the morning. Maybe a fun, new workout video would inspire you? Or maybe some new workout clothes? I've been looking for an excuse to buy new sneakers...

HTH a little!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

liya
10-22-2003, 05:39 PM
OMG look at olivia...WOW i love her hair!!!!!!! Oh btw im feeling motivated just dont know how to begin...LOL if that makes any sense....

peanut4us
10-22-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry you have been feeling so yucky. i totally understand the motivation thing, and I have nothing as good as your excuse! I must say that you should try something new or out of the ordinary.

Tonight I went rollerblading for the first time since before I got pregnant with Sara. My butt and thighs kill! And I had the most enjoyable time.

Annette_C
10-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Ohh Sarah! I didn't realize you were not feeling well! So sorry, hon. I totally understand how you feel. I used to be so good at working out daily but, lately, I'm lucky if I do 30 min. (2x a week)on the new Elliptical trainer I bought (it makes a good coat hanger, though! LOL).
I agree with the girls. Maybe a new workout tape....something with funky music! I have two rules I follow for my two favorite hobbies (cooking and exercising):
1)My cookbooks have to have LOTS of pictures,
2)My exercise tapes have to have good music!
One trick I used for years to boost my motivation was to play a favorite CD and start dancing around (even the kids enjoy that!). That gets the juice going and, before you know it, you'll have the energy (and mood) to work out!
I hope you feel better soon dear,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

lukkykatt
10-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Well I guess what motivated me was the fact that my "baby" is now over one and I still have those last few pounds to lose. I had thought they weren't budging because I was still nursing, but then I lost that excuse about 2 months ago. So I was really afraid to start down the slippery slope...

I enlisted DH's help and told him that I wanted to start working out again. He works out himself, so is totally supportive about taking the boys so I can do so (maybe he was afraid too that I'll start down that slippery slide! LOL!) Alot of times, I didn't feel like working out, but he reminded me that he was ready to take the boys. Having him on my side really gave the the extra push I needed.

Sorry you aren't feeling well! You'll have more energy to think about working out once you feel better. Maybe just going out on some easy walks with the stroller for now will help get you in gear?

celfsh
10-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Linda, you are so sweet! Thanks for the kind words--you made my day!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

mamahill
10-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks girls! You're right - I need to try something new. And getting out in some fresh air definitely helps. For those days in the future when we don't have good weather, what tapes do you recommend for inside. I'm not a big aerobics fan, but don't mind the step. I have several of the older Firm tapes. I did just by new exercise clothes (they are SO cute - got them at Gap on clearance, love my lowrise bootcut yoga pants) so that definitely helps. Problem is, half the time I get all suited up and then think, "I'll just check the boards..." Does getting dressed and then NOT working out count for partial credit?:)

peanut4us
10-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Annette--your workout criteria sounds like fun. What are your favorites? Can you get them on DVD? Where's the best place to get them?

BTW--I gotta respect anyone who puts exercise as one of their "hobbies" :D

peanut4us
10-23-2003, 02:42 PM
I so wish it did! What yoga videos do you have? ANything you would recommend to a beginner?

mamahill
10-23-2003, 03:37 PM
I have this one: http://tinyurl.com/s3u4 and I always come back to it. It's almost an hour long, but you don't have to do the whole thing at once. Often, I find I lose track of time and suddenly it's over. I don't like doing the plow shoulder stance at the end, and usually quit then. Also, I would recommend getting a mat because I noticed it helped a lot. It's a great video for beginners as it shows how to modify the positions once you have greater flexibility. Also, it talks about how each pose helps (increase circulation, enhances digestion, etc.). I really like it and find it very soothing. Now I have the tape cued where I want to begin (the first few minutes are an intro and instructions on the breathing). It's a great workout because the first time or two you think, "This isn't so hard!" And the next day you're sore ALL over. I REALLY noticed an increase in flexibility and it's amazing how much more comfortable I am with my body when I'm more flexible. Hmmm... note to self: do more yoga!

Annette_C
10-23-2003, 11:31 PM
LOL Joey!
Yes, believe it or not, exercise used to be (still is, if I had the time!) one of my favorite things to do, hence, I consider it a hobby!
I feel that's one thing I can do for me and me alone! It has health benefits, it makes you look better and feel more energized. Plus, the endorphines(sp?) that are released during exercise, make you feel even better than Prozac!
I have a vast collection of exercise tapes. My favorites are from Gilad, Kathy Smith, Gin Miller and Billy Blanks (Tae-Bo). I have some of the Firm, many of the Buns of Steel (Abs of Steel, etc), numerous step tapes, aerobic dancing and toning (Joyce Vedral).
I believe most of them do come on DVDs now.
The place to check is www.collagevideo.com . They have the biggest collection of exercise videos I've ever seen (I also get their catalog).
I hope this helps in making your decision. :)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02