PDA

View Full Version : South Beach vs. Atkins

mattysmom
10-27-2003, 09:39 PM
I was hoping someone could explain to me what the differences are between Atkins and the South Beach diet. I am determined to start one next week (I know I couldn't get through halloween without eating candy corn!) and I'm leaning toward Atkins, even though it seems pretty extreme. I'm about 15 lb and a full size above my pre-pregnancy weight (and ds is now 8 months old). I'm still nursing, but I'm slowly beginning to wean. I'm going away over Christmas and I'd REALLY like to fit into some of my new summer clothes. I'd love input based on people who've done one or the other. Thanks so much!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-27-2003, 10:28 PM
I've been on Atkins for two years. I don't find it extreme at all. In fact I was able to do it through pregnancy on the maintenance level. I lost 70 pounds in 8 months on it before I got pregnant.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mabuckles
10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Honestly - They really are not that different. However the South Beach says to have lower fat cheeses and meat. The South Beach is easier for me because it has meal plans. I would never have thought to make the ricotta desserts in the plan and my husband and I love them. I also have the "Low-Carb Meals in Minutes" cookbook. We love the recipes in this too. Last night we had pecan-crusted grouper with vegetable creole from this cookbook. Very yummy. I have only 7 lbs left to my goal weight! :)

emmasmama
10-28-2003, 01:57 PM
OOH, that dinner you made sounds excellent! I will have to ck out this cookbook!

I agree that there isn't much of a difference between the two plans really, except that S. Beach doesn't emphasize ketosis, but does emphasize lower saturated fat, leaner meats and fish, which I found to make good health sense overall, in addition to the low carb aspect.

I also found the meal plans really helped me to hit the ground running.

Whichever you choose, if you stick to it, you'll definitely lose... I even cheated a little and still lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks on S. Beach.