PDA

View Full Version : BEST Low & No-Carb Recipes!

22tango
10-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Okay everyone who's trying one of the low or no-carb diets. Here's a thread to contribute your thoughts on interesting recipes, cookbooks, own-creations, etc.. Remember that copyrights exist! So if your recipe is from a book, tell us which one and give a short summary of the recipe -- ie. Delicious "Surprise Mashed Potatoes" from the "South Beach Diet" are made with Cauliflower instead and you can't tell the difference!!

Ideally, it would be nice to post your FAVORITES! We all need some inspiration so the YUMMIER the better! :)

stillplayswithbarbies
10-29-2003, 12:01 PM
my absolute favorite low carb recipe is my strawberry milkshake. This is my treat when I need something sweet and yummy. I don't have one every night, although when I was pregnant, I did!

6 frozen strawberries
2/3 cup of heavy cream

Carbs: 10
calories: 577
fat: 59
protein: 3

Blend in blender until thick and creamy. It's just like a regular strawberry milkshake! And it's great if you haven't had enough fat or calories that day yet. When I was pregnant, it was an easy way to boost my calories to get up to the minimum for Atkins Maintenance Level.

I got the nutrition info from www.fitday.com which is a great website to track your eating. You have to register, but it is free. I used it at the beginning to look up stuff and see if I could eat it. I would put it in and see how it affected my totals for the day and then decide if I really wanted to eat it or not.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cchavez
10-29-2003, 02:04 PM
3-4 lb roast
2 can green chiles
1 can rotel

put it all in the crockpot and cook for 10 hrs on low
Serve w/ sourcream and low carb tortillas!!!

Yum!

Here's another good one:
http://www.cookingcache.com/creamcheesecrockpotchicken.shtml

Oh, I would love the "mashed potatoes" recipe!

Finally, if there are plenty of us doing low carb (or at least trying) do you think we could do a daily menu thread. Not only would it keep us in line (which is what I really need!) it would also give us ideas as to what to eat.

Thanks!

22tango
10-29-2003, 02:08 PM
I like your idea Christine!! I do think it should be a different thread (or threads?), as you suggest, so this one can be just for recipes.

22tango
10-30-2003, 10:18 PM
I don't know about you all, but I'm just NOT a big fan of EGGS!!! If I eat them, they have to be WITH something. Too boring by themselves, I guess. I can just see myself dreading breakfasts if I have to eat eggs often.

Well, I found some inspiration in a cookbook I had on my shelf and hardly used: "The Good Egg" by Marie Simmons. Although there are some chapters to beware of -- ie. "Eggs and Bread", "Pasta and Eggs", etc..., there are TONS of interesting combos for fried, scrambled, omlettes, soufflees, salads & frittatas! Just take a peek at the index here (the titles alone can provide inspiration if you don't have access to the book): http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0395909910/ref=sib_rdr_zmin/104-7085579-3417561?p=S004&j=1#reader-page

Some ideas that I plan to try:
- scrambled with wild mushrooms & herbs
- fried with malt vinegar & butter sauce
- omelette with bacon, stilton & apple
- omelette with caramelized onions, ham & gruyere
- omelette with ricotta & strawberries

I loved the idea of making omelette "noodles" for soups; and was reminded that devilled eggs are something I can now indulge in!

There was even a raspberry souflee recipe that didn't call for any flour or milk...so with subsitutions for the sugar could be very de-lish!

cchavez
10-31-2003, 08:07 AM
I love devied eggs and egg salad!!

Also scrambled eggs w/ cream cheese, cinnamon and splend aka mock danish!

cchavez
11-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Wrap 4-6 chkn breast w/ one slice of bacon each
combine one can of cream of mushroom soup w/ 16 oz of sour cream

dump everything in cp and cook on low for about 4 hrs!

coloradomom
11-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Christine,
Hi I was planning on trying your meal tonight of chicken with cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. It sounds yummy. but I have two questions for you.
1) Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
2) Any ideas for sides to serve with it?