PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Pilates?

1ontheway
11-07-2003, 10:47 AM
I have a friend that is interested in Pilates for tightening up the post baby tummy. Her DD just turned a year, and while she's lots tons of weight, she seems to have excess skin in the tummy area that won't go away. Several people have recommended Pilates, so I wondered if any of you could give a personal review. I know their infomercial makes it sound like the perfect answer(don't they all).
TIA!

Christina
EDD 1/12/04

COElizabeth
11-07-2003, 01:48 PM
I went to a Pilates class for a while before I was pregnant, and I loved it. I've gone to only one since then, so I can't vouch for its usefulness in tightening the post-baby tummy, but I would think it would be great. It's excellent for posture, also. I felt really good when I was doing the class. Also, I am extremely uncoordinated, so I have always steered clear of aerobics classes, but this was slow enough that I could do it reasonably well. A good instructor is very important. Mine explained things very well and also came around and helped people who were doing an exercise not quite right.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sntm
11-07-2003, 03:31 PM
if she wants to try a video as opposed to a class, i have "the method precision toning" and really like it. it's one of the few tapes i have where i sweat really hard while excercising lying down. haven't used it since pre-baby but very good for tummy muscles. skin? don't know how to tone that!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6304227531/qid=1068235987/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-1350327-7323963?v=glance&s=video

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03