PDA

View Full Version : Trying again!

KimberleyDawn
11-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Well I'm here again and even more depressed than when I first posted here when William was first born!
I really don't know what's wrong with me but I don't have what it takes to make this work and I need to make this work or I'm going to get really sick!!!!!! I'm almost 100 pounds over my regular weight now!!!!!
I don't even know where to start....
Help me.
Kim
P.S.
I don't even have 1 pic of me with my boy's!

peanut4us
11-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Kim, welcome back. I SO know what you mean I need to lose about 60 to be back at a healthy level. and Sara's old enough now that I can't say "I just had a baby." Start small. But start right now. Not tomorrow, not next monday, but right now. Pick a goal to get you through Sunday... a number of times to exercise or not having ice cream EVERY night (sigh, but I really want it) or something else like that. Then on Sunday see how you did and set a new small goal for the next week.

Wanna be a weightloss/workout buddy? I would love to do that with you. PM me if you want to.

Chin up! You CAN do it!

flagger
11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
You are a mom. You are one of the most beautiful creatures on the face of the planet. I know I dare not enter the mommyfit forum, but here goes.

Drink lots of water. Replace everything you drink with just water. Get out and walk, go to the mall and walk. Go down to the driveway and to the end of the street and back. The hardest part is putting on your shoes. Somedays it plain sucks. You don't feel like it. The weather is too cold, too hot. The mall is great for that.

Also what worked for me was getting everything I shouldn't eat out of the house. If it was not there, I couldn't eat it. If I thought about cheating, I drank some water. In the time it took me to finish a glass< I had forgotten about wanting something I didn't need.

Take pictures with your kids. We all have something we want to hide, are ashamed of, whatever. I am a pretty fluffy guy still, but I believe just moving your body even 20 minutes a day has a great affect on your mental and physical health.

mamahill
11-12-2003, 05:13 PM
You CAN do it!! I've found that while I always want to lose "some" weight, I have to hit rock bottom, or have some realization, before I am really motivated - and motivated enough to do something drastic (not lipo, but like working out on a regular basis) - not just "talking" about it. Heavens, if only TALKING about losing weight actually worked, I'd look like Nicole Kidman!

I picked up the South Beach Diet at Costco today for $14.29. I'm intrigued by it's principles and the successes here. I'm afraid because I LOVE pasta and rice, but I know I need more protein in my diet, and it has loads of recipes. So here goes.

The only really effective things that have kept me on track have been to write down EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. Ugh, it's depressing at first, but it's so empowering. Also, having to report to someone (I'm making a concerted effort to "post" here - thanks Julie!) is a great incentive.

Hang in there. Now is a great time to start, because if you can do relatively well through the holidays, you're off to a better beginning than those who wait for Jan. 1!

COElizabeth
11-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Kim, I agree with Flagger that you should take photos NOW. I am literally crying thinking about you not having any photos of you with your boys because you feel bad about your weight. I kind of cringe when I see photos of me in the couple of months right after James was born, but I am still glad there are some. Your boys love you unconditionally, and they will I am sure want to have photos of their early months and years with you. When you succeed in your weight loss goals, the new photos will show that, but please, take some pictures today! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

emmasmama
11-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Flagger - feel free to post in mommyfit whenever :)... I absolutely agree with what you said about water... it makes a big big difference - why drink extra calories? - save them for something good!

And Kim, you really can do it! I started out with 70 lbs to lose and I am down 36 so far... it started out gradual with small steps like the water and just trying to eat better, walking a little, doing a little beginner's yoga... but, as I started to get to the point where my knees no longer hurt and I wasn't exhausted because I'd lost enough to feel semi-normal, I got more aggressive. And whoever said start right away, I second that!

What has helped me the most is doing a lot of reading about nutrition and weight loss, so that I understand better which foods were hurting me and where I could cut back painlessly. I will always have to struggle with my weight, but I want it to be at the point where I never have to lose like this again and all I have to do is work to maintain a healthy weight.

Take that picture right now and then know that you will be able to look back, not only at your beautiful children, but at a woman who you respect and admire for having the courage to change her life for the better.

KimberleyDawn
11-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Thank you for the positive responses!
I will start with only drinking water starting tomorrow (gonna miss my coffee at work!!!). Where do I post what I have eaten each day (or is that even how it works?).
Kim

flagger
11-12-2003, 06:48 PM
I feel you have to do what works for you. For me counting calories, watching portions didn't work. I ate when I was hungry, and I tried not to eat after 6-7pm. If I cheated and had something from like Cheesecake Factory I didn't dwell on the fact that I cheated. I allowed myself some indulgences instead of dwelling on them. I also kept a photo record of where I was when I started. I lost 40 pounds from 9/1/02 - 1/1/03

When Ms. Flagger got pregnant and the junk food returned to the house, I started to allow myself to eat it. Old habits return really quickly. I have regained about 25 of the original I lost.

For others Atkins is a godsend. And still with others it is the grapefruit froot loops diet.

The one thing I found most important to remember is it takes 21 days to start a new or end an old habit. Those first few days were hard. I was hungry as sh*t. Once I got into a routine everyday it became a bit easier.

ethansmom
11-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Sweetie, whatever gets you through!

I've changed to just drinking mainly water, but I still allow myself a couple cups of coffee each day. After all, it's not the coffee, but the cream and sugar that have the calories, right? I figure I'd rather allow myself the coffee with a bit of cream and sugar, than the cheesecake...

Please take pics with your boys! If you're not comfortable with your body, at least get some face shots together! I've found upon looking back at pics, it never was as bad as it seemed at the time.

You can do it!

egoldber
11-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Kim you can do it!!! I know what you mean about pictures. I cringe every time I see a picture with me in it, and that's one of the reasons I have started doing the South Beach Diet. Now on Day 2! :)

The thing I like about the SB is that it isn't so much a diet, as changing the what you eat. He has lots of terrific info about how to make better food choices. There is a very strict low carb diet for the first 2 weeks, but then it liberalizes to be more normal. It is still a MUCH lower carb diet than what I usually eat, but honestly, I already knew I ate too many carbs. I have not felt hungry at all on this diet. In fact, the quantities are sometimes MORE than what I would typically eat, but its lots of vegetables and protein as opposed to carbs.

Another thing I like is that he talks bout how you can actually eat out and still follow the basic principles. That's important to me, because frankly, eating out is part of our lifestyle. And if I can't do that, then that would be a true hardship for me.

I've been using fitday.com to keep track of my food intake too. Just the act of recording what I eat has made a tremendous difference in how I make choices as well.

Good luck!!!

KimberleyDawn
11-12-2003, 09:29 PM
I have decided that I want to post a picture of myself with the boy's. I will then take another picture and post it every so many pounds lost.
I CAN DO THIS!
Thanks again everyone and a special thanks to Joey for agreeing to be my diet buddy!
Flagger,
You were kind enough to post my pics once, would you be willing to do it again if I e-mail you (still can't attach files here!) the pictures?
Kim

lukkykatt
11-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Kim, you have a cheering section here who will be with you 100%.

I am so glad you changed your mind about the pictures! That is what made me sad about your post. All your boys will see is the love between you.

Keep us posted on your progress!

flagger
11-13-2003, 08:48 AM
>Flagger,
>You were kind enough to post my pics once, would you be
>willing to do it again if I e-mail you (still can't attach
>files here!) the pictures?

Sure email me at flagger /at/ stayathomeparents.us

I will do it sometime today.

alkagift
11-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Kim,
You can do it, you can! I also cringe at my appearance in pictures, but I treasure those early ones even though I'm wearing all my maternity clothes. You deserve to have a picture with them. I feel that it makes me feel better to dress up and put on makeup so that I look my best--even if I critizice my waistline, I can focus on the positives!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03

Annette_C
11-14-2003, 12:37 AM
Kim,
One more person to cheer you on!!
Everyone here said all I wanted to say so I won't repeat it. Just believe in yourself. Yes, you CAN do it!
We're here for you,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

JulieL
11-16-2003, 10:34 AM
That is some good advice Flagger. Many people think their body is hungry when really it is just thirsty. Water is a huge key to success!!! Goodbye soda and high sugared fruit juice!!!

Bethann31
11-19-2003, 04:15 PM
I am with you Kim. I have been gestational diabetic with all 4 of my pregnancies and have been told that I must get my weight into the healthy weight range to avoid diabetes, but I am having a heck of a time. I work full time as well, and with 4 children I don't have time to hit the gym. I bought the South Beach Diet Book a few weeks ago but haven't even tried to start a diet. I bought a treadmill and moved it to my bedroom, but I am just trying to get in the habit of walking on it at night. I am about 35 lbs. from where the charts say I should be, but realistically, I would like to lose about 20 or 25, which is where my body feels best.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

AngelaS
11-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Kim, you CAN do it! I went in to deliver Gabrielle at 100lbs over my goal weight (and that's not 'make me a size 6' number either!)

I am now down 32 lbs from the day I gave birth. I still have a long ways to go. I excercise between 20 and 40 minutes a day and I'm trying to watch what I eat. I know I will not be thin tomorrow, but someday, I hope to be.....