PDA

View Full Version : Losing (or gaining!) weight while breastfeeding?

jesseandgrace
11-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi everyone. Does anyone have the same problem as I do? I gain weight while breastfeeding. This has happened to me with both of my kids now. I start losing weight after birth, but after about two to three months I start gaining weight. I think it is because I am so hungry while I am breastfeeding, or that I am scared that my supply will go down if I don't eat well.

Does anyone have any tips? I can't stand it any more. My daughter is five months old and I still have 30 pounds to lose! I always hear that BF is good for weight loss, but I think I would do better without it!

Momof3Labs
11-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Some people lose tons of weight while bf'ing, while others seem to keep on weight while bf'ing (I'm one of those, too). It is important not to overeat while nursing, and to keep your diet healthy and sensible. Drinking water is a great way to maintain your supply, maybe you can substitute water for some of the eating (to relieve your fears about your supply dropping).

Weight Watchers offers a program for nursing mothers; if you want to go with a diet plan, you might consider that option!

peanut4us
11-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey... I am only 10 pounds lighter than I was before I delivered :( And I really think that bfing is a huge part of it. I am currently on the Weight Watchers bfing plan, and it's hard to stick to. I feel hungry all of the time, and I have supply issues. But I am giving it a good college try. You might want to look into it. PM or email me if you want to talk about it more.

I was about 20 pounds overweight before I got PG so I've got gobs of weight to lose still.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Yes, I gain weight while breastfeeding. I can't lose weight even when I do the things that worked for me before. The best I have been able to do is keep my weight steady on the Atkins diet.

The same thing happened to me last time too. The week after he weaned, I lost 15 pounds without doing anything. I figure I have my whole life to lose weight, for now my body belongs to my baby.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03