PDA

View Full Version : South Beach question

ddmarsh
11-18-2003, 09:01 AM
I am thinking of trying this but am concerned about the coffee issue! The only way, and I mean *only*, I can drink coffee is with flavored non-dairy creamer. I usually only have one cup a day but must have that cup. Is it possible for me to get away with having that one cup with the creamer do you think?

BTW, I noticed that several recipes called for green onions and wanted to mention that there are some initial reports that the recent Hepatitis outbreak is linked to green onions and perhaps it is wise to avoid them for the time being.

egoldber
11-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Denise, this is the ONE aspect of the diet I ignore. I ADORE coffee and have 2-3 cups a day. I have switched to using a non-fat half&half, whereas I used to use milk and I haven't noticed a difference in taste. I don't know if there are flavored non-fat creamers, but you may want to see.

The thing with coffee is that its an appetite stimulant, but you can basically eat until full, so I don't see it as an issue. Other SB boards I have read say the same thing.

And we're all vaccinated for Hep A, so I haven't worried about the scallions. But the chance of exposure is pretty small.

Annette_C
11-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Debbie,
DH and I are also ignoring the decaf rule. We both need that caffeine to start our day too much to be able to give it up! :)
DH is a flavored-non-dairy creamer lover and, since he's not a big breakfast person, he hasn't given that up. He says that's his breakfast (accompanied by a hard boiled egg or a slice of my egg&cheese bread).
There is a flavored non fat non dairy creamer (that's what he uses) but it does have sugar in it.
HTH,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

emmasmama
11-19-2003, 08:08 AM
Haven't given up the coffee either! And actually, in the SB book, he says that's fine, even though when you look in the meal plan section, he has decaf listed. He suggests going to decaf if you can in the background info part (for the appetite stimulant reason), but says it's really not that big a deal. I gave up adding sugar in my coffee (but if you need it, just use splenda) and I use the Land O' Lakes fat free 1/2 & 1/2. If you're lactose intolerant I'm sure there is a creamer to fit the bill.

One suggestionin case it applies, the powdered creamers have partially hydrogenated oils in them, which are bad, bad, bad! They are actually worse for you then eating just regular old saturated fat (like you would find in whipping cream or butter). Manufacturers are really big on partially hydrogenated oils in "lowfat" products, so you really have to check the labels. I'm now really careful about that and avoid anything that has them (and believe me, that's a lot of stuff, but mostly crackers, breads, etc, so obviously those aren't a problem anymore). If you shop somewhere like Whole Foods at all, there isn't a single product in the store that has them (at least from what I can tell from checking labels). If you go to your regular grocery, you will be hard pressed to find a single box of crackers or snack food without them. Flavored coffees and creamers included.

ddmarsh
11-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the help - I have proceeded with my coffee as usual :). I have to say I was a bit worried about how I would feel with a number of people saying they felt ill, tired, etc. After one full day though I feel actually the opposite - lots more energy than usual. I am amazed that I also have had not a single craving. Let's hope that I actually lose some weight!

BTW Beth I know the exposure risk is minimal, I guess I'm just feeling overly cautious b/c it occurred not far from us and there has been a great deal of local coverage on it. Things always seem to loom so much larger when they occur more closely.