PDA

View Full Version : weight watchers while nursing?

todzwife
11-18-2003, 05:58 PM
I am one of the unlucky women who can't loose while BFing. Today at my 6 week, I was bummed to find I still have 25 pounds left to loose. I know exercising will help, but I need diet guidance. WW sounds easy enough, and a few ladies I know have done it and look amazing! I am nursing, and I know the plan accomadated that, but not online. Unfortunately I don't have access to meetings, so online is my only option. Anyone know how many extra "points" a BFing mom gets?I am wanting to start right after Thanksgiving. Thanks!

slknight
11-18-2003, 09:09 PM
It's 10 extra points per day while BFing. WW suggests you lose no more than 1 pound per week while BFing. It is slow going for me. But I don't want to lose too quickly and mess with my milk supply.

HTH,
Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

COElizabeth
11-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Shandelle,

I can't answer your question about WW, but I want to assure that it's probably too early to say you won't lose weight while nursing. At my 6-week post-partum appointment, I had a lot more than 25 pounds to go before getting to my pre-pregnancy weight (I gained 49 pounds during pregnancy), but I did eventually lose it all (by around 9 months). I think I might have been able to lose faster if I had exercised more and eaten fewer sweets, but the weight did come off. So by all means try the WW plan with bf'ing accommodations, but please don't be discouraged so early!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Annette_C
11-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Shandelle,
I agree with Elizabeth. It's way too early for your body to go back to "normal".
I can't give you advice on BF since I FF but if you try to eat healthy foods and introduce a workout (20-30 min is ok to begin with), I'm sure you'll start to see results.
We're here for you to help you and cheer you on!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

jubilee
11-23-2003, 01:20 AM
It is an extra 10 a day, plus you also have the flex points like everyone else. Eat all your daily points, you will still lose weight and it doesn't mess with your milk supply. As for the flex points, I normally eat half of them and still lose weight. After the first few weeks, it's best to only lose a pound a week.

friedmana1
11-24-2003, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I did WW while I was still nursing, and it was really easy - and I lost the pregnancy weight plus some more! And it did NOT affect my milk supply! Let me know if I can help you in any way...

Edited to add - I actually did not start WW until I was 8 months postpartum, however! And as everyone says, don't worry about the body yet...just worry about the baby and gradually start introducing some better habits in your diet. Good luck, and let us know how we can help you.

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

houseof3boys
11-24-2003, 08:49 PM
6 weeks is nothing!!!!! You really need the extra nutrition and extra 500 claories a day to keep your milk production up. Don't worry about the weight, it will come off soon enough. It really will. I gained almost 50 pounds with my pregnancy and I only have about 8 to lose at 5.5 months. It takes 9 months to put the weight on so expect that to get it off!

LD92599
11-29-2003, 09:48 AM
I also gained 50 pounds w/ DS and just in the last few weeks got back down to my pre-preg weight! It was discouraging in the beginning...esp when you hear stories about women walking out of the hospital in their jeans!

I'd also been told, countless times, that it takes 9 months to put it on...could take 9 months to take it off.

DH, DS and I were big walkers (about 3-4 miles/day) which I am sure helped (as does nursing!). Now that the weather is cooler and the days shorter, I'll have to cut back on my intake.

You can do it, just need to be patient and don't get discouraged!

Laura
mom to William