PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Trainers... recommendations? who has them?

mamahill
11-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Ok, my sister bought one off of ebay almost a year ago and LOVES hers. Plus, she got it for an unbelievable $150 (they were moving, were local, and it had retailed for like $600). My mom recently bought a ProForm from Sears, I think.

I REALLY like the idea since the treadmill has never felt good to me, and running long distance has always been torture (though I played soccer all up through high school, but that was a different kind of running). So my question for those of you who have them, what kind do you have, and would you recommend them. I don't want to plunk down a wad of cash if I don't have to, but I don't want to get something cheap that will end up holding "to be ironed" clothes. TIA!

Annette_C
11-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Sarah,
I felt exactly like you! For that reason, I researched and found a lot of positive comments on the Eclipse 1000HR model. It has the features of a much fancier model for less money. I also found a site that offered free shipping (it's heavy so that saved a bundle in itself!) on top of a good sale price. I got mine for $400.
I highly recommend it. It's compact, easy to use and not expensive. I've had it for almost a year now and still like it and use it regularly.
HTH,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

1ontheway
11-19-2003, 03:55 PM
I had an Orbitrek(about $200 shipped) that we finally just sold. While the equipment was fine, I found that I didn't like the whole eliptical thing. I didn't like the way the machine seemed to build up my quads but not do much anywhere else. Guess I just prefer plain old walking.

IMO just be sure it is something you will use. Try one out for a few workouts before dropping the money. ;)

Christina
EDD 1/12/04

km
11-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Ive got a Precor and i love it! Ive had it for at least 4 years. I got sick of waiting for the one at my health club. At the point i started being one of those people who waits in the lobby for the 5am opening so i could get my workout in before work, i realized i needed one of my own.

I quit the health club and invested the money in the equipment (i dont even remember now, a few thousand dollars i think). With two kids now, i appreciate having the equipment home. Id never get to the gym working full time and with two kids. WHile i dont use it as much as Id like to, its nice to have it right here.

I bought a cheap stair step machine (pro form maybe?) many years ago, and found i didnt use it much b/c it wasnt up to par with the healthclub stairmasters.

If you're going to buy something, be sure to test it out yourself. Some may find a $200 machine just fine for your needs.I knew that spending $200 on a machine would be throwing it away b/c it would never get used.

pritchettzoo
11-19-2003, 05:35 PM
I am a clumsy, uncoordinated oaf. I almost ripped a leg off. If you live in or will be passing through GA, I will help you load ours in your car!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

lukkykatt
11-20-2003, 08:53 AM
We have the ProForm from Sears, and use it all the time. DH opted for this one because it uses magnets instead of hydraulics, so he thought it would last longer. Overall, we are very happy with it. I have only one "complaint" - which is a very minor one. It offers 4 programs, which vary the intensity of your workout over a 20 minute period. You can't extend the time period of the program though. Of course you can work out as long as you want at a set level, or vary the levels yourself over time increments, if you are so inclined (but it makes it hard to read when you do that!)

If you do get this one, I would suggest that you pay the extra $$ to have them assemble it in your home (unless your DH or a good friend is extraordinarily handy, which mine isn't).

If you have any more questions about it, let me know.

egoldber
11-20-2003, 11:28 AM
I use one at the gym today for the first time and I really liked it! Now I'm intrigued about getting one for home for those days when I can't get to the gym.

McQ
11-20-2003, 12:15 PM
I'll second the Precor. I don't have one but I was that person waiting at the door of the gym at 5am. I did this when I used to travel for work all the time and I actually picked this hotel just because of the Precor. I'd love to have one in my house.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

mamahill
11-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks, all! I've written all your recommendations down. Thanks for the offer Anna - lol - I'm in California, and am not planning any road trips anytime soon:).