PDA

View Full Version : Any fav recipes from the SBD book?

egoldber
12-05-2003, 09:21 PM
So I have mostly been making (and adapting) recipes from the South Beach Diet book. Even though I know there are other SBD "safe" recipes on the link I posted (LOL!!) I just don't find the time to get over to those sites very often. I'm not bothering to include the endless variations on salads that I've discovered over the last few weeks!

Here are ones that I have tried and really liked:

Easy Asparagus and Mushroom Omelette
Balsamic Vinaigrette (my new fav salad dressing)
Poached Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce
Grilled Salmon with Rosemary (so simple but VERY tasty)
Easy Chicken in Wine Sauce (this was REALLY good)
Surprise South Beach Mashed Potatoes (I added a1/4 cup shredded cheese)
Lime Zest Ricotta Creme (my fav of the ricotta desserts)

Ones I've tried and didn't care for:

Vegetable Quiche Cups To Go (just ick!)
Oven Roasted Vegetables (I like roasted veggies, but their roasting time is too long)
Almond Ricotte creme (the almond extract was too strong for me)

Anyone made the Meatloaf? That's the next one I want to try.

Annette_C
12-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Beth,
I agree with you that some recipes (from the book) are much better than others!
I have mostly made my own versions of recipes based on the foods allowed and from the ideas I got from the sites you posted.
I remade the surprise SBD mashed potatoes after having them at Ruby Tuesday's. I did add a personal touch to the recipe with a much better result! I added a sprinkle of garlic powder and some grated parmesan cheese.
My favorite of the ricotta desserts is the chocolate version. I also got a recipe from the Prevention site that adds a little peanut butter to the chocolate ricotta cream. Boy, was it good!!
Tonight, I made a "pasta e fagioli" soup...without the pasta! LOL
I made my usual italian bean soup but added cut-up little pieces of a frittata (made with egg-beaters, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a sprinkle of grated parmesan) to make up for the pasta. It was a great hit with the gang!
Unfortunately, DH and I haven't been as strict as we used to with the diet lately. There's so much temptation these days with all the holiday parties, etc.!! I also have started to miss my "real carbs" too much lately! I've tried the low carb versions of muffins, breads, bagels but they just don't do it!! I want my Italian cookies...with icing!! I want my Biscotti!!!I want ravioli, pasta and lasagna!!!! I want a cosmopolitan and a margarita!!!
I knew this diet wouldn't last a lifetime....I'm hoping it'll last just long enough so that I can lose all my extra weight.
Wishful thinking....
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02