PDA

View Full Version : Posting 12/1

JulieL
12-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Well I made up for my lousy thanksgiving week.

I pumped out a total of 4 workouts. I did my new butt/leg workout twice (can I say that my hamstrings are smarting!) and a pilates workout and a kickboxing workout. So my goal is to workout 4 times a week all of december to make up for all that good/bad food!

So I am feeling pretty good and am currently cutting out snowflakes to put on the walls!

kathsmom
12-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Yay, Julie!

Way to go! I wish I had your "get-up-and-go" attitude. I have not been on the boards in a while. It has been just so crazy around our house. Katherine has homework, the holidays are here, Andrew is cutting 3 teeth simultaneously, etc.

However, none of this is any excuse for my lack of physical activity. I have been a total slug the last few months. I reached my breaking point with my weight last Friday night. I thought I had been maintaining my weight (not losing or gaining). WRONG!!!!!!! My mom came down this past Friday to watch the kids for DH and me. We left Saturday morning to go to DH's company's 25th anniversary/Christmas party at a nice resort near the company headquarters about 4 hours from where we live. I asked my mom to bring a dress that I wore last year to a friend's wedding (Andrew was 7 weeks old at the time of the wedding). The dress fit fine then. I tried it on Friday night and it looked awful on me. I was in tears. I went to the mall desperately searching for a semi-formal dress that wouldn't break the bank and that actually fit. I was so upset after those awful sessions in the dressing room. I found absolutely nothing. I ended up wearing another dress my mom brought down.

I really need to lose this weight and I am just so mad at myself. Can anyone give me some ideas on what I can do to motivate myself? Should I join the Y or a gym? What about Weight Watchers? I just don't know what direction to go in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks if you have read this far. I hope to be reporting more activity and/or workouts soon.

Take care!

Annette_C
12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Toni,
I hear you, hon! That's how I got 10 additional lbs after Sabrina was born! But please don't despair...
Can you squeeze a workout during Andrew's nap? Maybe you can borrow an exercise tape from the library or follow an exercise program on tv. It's easier (and more motivating) to follow a show than to try to do a workout on your own. A gym will work too. I find working out at home is more convenient.
You might also try to keep a "food diary" that way you can keep tract of what you're eating.
We'll be here for you if you need us.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Annette_C
12-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Great job, Julie!
I worked out 5x. I alternate workouts so that all body parts get used.
The problem, though, is that DH and I have kind of relaxed the rules of SBD lately and we've hit a plateau. Hopefully, we'll get back into it once the holiday parties are over!
BTW....I have a new recommendation for a workout set that is wonderful...at least IMO!
It's the new Gilad's Quick Fit series. It comes in a pack of seven videos: three cardio and four toning (abs, lower body, arms and chest, shoulders and back). The cardios are each around 30-36 min. long. The toning are between 15 and 20 minutes.
By alternating a different cardio to different body parts, you'll have 12 different workouts! Gilad is easy to follow and it's all filmed in Hawaii.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

AngelaS
12-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Last week I did three workouts and then got hit with the flu on Thursday. Wiped me out FLAT! I'm feeling better today but I'm going to wait until tomorrow before stepping back on the Nordic Track...

I also realized that I am only 10lbs heavier than when I got pregnant with Adrienne (okay, so that was more than 6 years ago now...) but my goal is that by the time she turns 6 and 6 weeks, I'm going to lose that other ten lbs. :) I have about 10 weeks to do this, so it shouldn't be a HUGE problem....if I can stay out of the Christmas cookies.... LOL

JulieL
12-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Toni,
Annette has some great advice. I kept a workout journal and measured my body (waist, hips, upper thighs) about ever 6 weeks and even though my weight didn't go down as much as I "thought" it should, my measurements sure did. Keep your chin.

kathsmom
12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your support! I really appreciate it. I am just so overwhelmed at the moment with all the holiday stuff going on right now.

I am going to try to take Andrew for a walk in his jogging stroller after I take Katherine to school. He loves to be outside and to take strolls in the jogger. I just have to get my behind in gear and actually do it!

On the bright side, I have lost 2 lbs.! Since Saturday, I have tried to eat only when I am hungry and to stop when I am satisfied. I am also trying to eat more slowly at meals. When we stopped at a restaurant on the way to the company party, I only ate about 1/2 of my fries and just a tad bit more than 1/2 of the roast beef sandwich. I gave the rest to DH. I loved not having that "stuffed" feeling when you have eaten so fast that your body doesn't register that it is full until you get up from the table.

I look forward to posting here and thanks so much for all the encouragement!

Take care!

egoldber
12-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Well, I worked out twice last week. That seems to be my routine. I still need to find a workout that I can do at least one more time a week. What I OUGHT to do is just tell DH I need to go to the gym at least once on the weekend and just GO!

But on the upside, I lost one more pound last week! I lost 6 pounds the first two weeks on the SBD, and I've now settled into a pound a week loss sort of range, which was my goal. :)

lukkykatt
12-10-2003, 02:42 PM
I had a week of highs and lows. I worked out 4 times last week and added 10 minutes to my cardio workouts - a definite high! BUT I weighed myself on our scale at home, which I haven't done in some time. Within 3 days, I weighed 113.5, 120 and 125.5 according to our scale. I am hoping that something is wrong with it (it is a new digital one that DH bought) and that I did NOT gain over 10 pounds in 2 days!!! So, I have no idea what I really weigh, but am putting that evil scale away and concentrating on how I feel and how my clothes fit!

egoldber
12-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Make sure you're using your scale on a flat, solid surface (like tile or vinyl flooring) and not carpeting. When used on carpeting, many digital scales are not accurate. Ask me how I know. :(

peanut4us
12-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks to brochitis, I lost 2 pounds at my WW weigh in this week. Hurrah, kind of. NOw that I am feeling better, I am being a bump on a long. I'll get it going. Onward, ladies.

lukkykatt
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I was on the same flat tile floor every time :(

MartiesMom2B
12-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Will one of you girls come over and

A) Wire my mouth shut so I stop eating crap**
B) Come over and throw all my crap away
c) Give me some energy/motivation to work out instead of spending my free time watching tv/sitting on the computer, seeing as how I need to clean up my house and use my Firm tapes.

**Crap being defined as ice cream, potato chips, Christmas cookies, cake

As you can see my week hasn't been so great. Martie has decided that she's not going to take naps and she's going to wake up at 11:00 and 3:00 AM. I've taken her into bed with me and she's nursed so much that I just want to have my breasts back and I'm loaded with guilt. We tried CIO at 3:00 AM and it made me want to kick my husband for sleeping through her cries and leave my house and be the wild free woman I once was when I had no husband and child (note these are the crazy thoughts in my head at 3:30 AM).

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

JulieL
12-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Sonia,
I totally feel for you. I so remember the days when I was dieing to get my boobs back, and feeling guilty. I thought I was going to wean at 4 months and ended up weaning at 9! And by the way all of us have thought the same thing sometime in the wee hours when tired & frustrated. By the way wild woman you CAN throw away the bad food yourself;-) . I'll throw away my chocolate if you throw away your potatoe chips! Just a friendly challenge. I am so glad you spoke up even if your week was bad. :-)

mamahill
12-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Oh ladies, after the flu came and went and the holiday frazzle set in, I haven't had much time for ANYTHING. Does holding a 21-pound 10-month-old I was babysitting ALL yesterday count for anything?

I think I'm waiting until the New Year to start the SBD. I will try to eat in moderation, but I think I'll be off to a much better start when all the holidays are behind me. (oh, and I just realized what a pun that could be... heaven help my backside...)

emmasmama
12-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Well, I was realize that it's already the 15th, but everything since Thanksgiving seems like a big blur... DD and I have both been sick twice... her fever finally broke last night after a couple of days of 102-103 degree temps... the ped said it was viral and all we could do was give her tylenol and make her more comfortable.

On the upside, all the craziness and repressed appetite from being sick and still sticking to SBD have made it so I've lost another 4 lbs since T-day. So, I'm at a total of 21 lbs lost on SBD in 2 1/2 months! My exercise hasn't been much to speak of with all the illness, so that's just from South Beach.

I can't believe how great this diet works, even though I'm a little bit of a cheater, I really try to be pretty good with it and the longer I'm on it, the easier it gets to resist cravings for stuff I shouldn't have. I still have the occasional handful of choc chips when I'm having a bad day, but I try to leave it at that.

Oh, new discovery, for anyone else doing S. Beach, I discovered that Edy's Ice Cream "no sugar added" is fairly low carb and not too high in fat. The vanilla and butter pecan are the lowest. Anyway, makes for a nice treat! There is also a bread that I've been buying made by a brand called The Baker and it only has 4 net carbs a slice and no weird or fake ingredients. We're in the DC/Baltimore area, so both of these things are probably available for anyone else in that general area.

Good luck everyone - I know the holidays are tough, but my New Year's resolution is that my self respect is more important to me than a piece of pie (or two ;). I just have to keep reminding myself that all the time. My husband kept me from pigging out on the butter pecan ice cream yesterday afternoon, so it helps to have some support too!

khakismom
12-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Just reading how great everyone is doing is making me cry (and not gfrom joy)! I have been so off and on over the past month. I gained 4 pounds back just from being lazy and not hitting the gym. AARRRGGGH! so frustrated! Time to psych myself up...