PDA

View Full Version : May I join in?

phirey
12-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Hi everybody,

I've never really even lurked in this section -- and should have been. For thirteen months I've been saying I'm going to lose that baby weight some day!! Well, it's no longer baby weight -- it's mine. In addition I noticed that I'm gaining again. So I had some labs drawn at work and even though my cholesterol is really good, it looks like I'm insulin resistant! Doh!

So like Marisa I'm starting metformin this weekend. I'm very familiar with it pharmacologically, but I'd like to hear everyone's personal experiences on it -- how bad, REALLY, were the side effects? How long did they last for you? Did you lose weight on it alone or did the diet do it? I plan to start the SBD as soon as possible, but I'm not even going to kid myself about starting in in the next week or two KWIM?

Finally, could someone give me a quick low-down on this section. I ask only because I see these weekly updates. Is it sort of like the WW meetings--only online?

Wish me luck -- and Marisa, since we're in the same boat -- I'll be thinking about you!

Thanks guys

JulieL
12-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't know anything about metformin so can't help there.

MommyFIT allows us to keep acountable to each other every week about what we accomplish workout wise as well as eating healthy too. I post every Monday what I did the previous week, and so does everyone else. It's not to make people feel bad if they did nothing (sometimes I don't or can't as well!), but to help everyone get a heads up that this, a healthier life, is what they want for themselves, and to get encouragement.

Please feel free to log in each week. We also post ideas, questions, recepies and such on this forum too. So come on board, we don't bite!!!

mamahill
12-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Join in! I go in spurts, exercise-wise. With the flu and now some lovely cold/sinus problem that has left me sounding like I smoked 5 packs a day for years, I haven't been very diligent in working out (read: my exercise comprises of Christmas shopping). I had the best intentions to start the SBD after Thanksgiving, but seriously - who was I kidding?! So I'm with you on a Jan. 2 start date.

And the weekly updates are just to report what you did or didn't do the week before. They're not mandatory. I'm staying away from reporting for the next couple weeks, since my reports will consist of how much candy/cookies I've been making and that is NOT the point of this forum:).

Good luck with the metformin. I don't know anything about it, but that sucks to be insulin resistant. I wish I was fat resistant - wouldn't that me nice?! Anyway, welcome!