PDA

View Full Version : Did the FIRM DVD tonight!

todzwife
12-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Yowch! I can already tell my arms and legs are going to be spagetti in the morning. I have 25 pounds to lose. Hopefully this in combination with Weight watchers ( that I am starting in January) I can get back to my pre pregnancy weight. I hate it that I don't even fit in my "fat" pants!

JulieL
12-17-2003, 01:27 PM
OH BOY OH BOY are you in for a change (a good one!). If you keep up faithfully you WILL see a difference. The Firm worked for me. I never did WW but I hear great things about it. GOOD LUCK!!!

egoldber
12-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Can someone tell me about the Firm? What is it and is it hard???

mamahill
12-17-2003, 06:03 PM
It is, hands down, the most effective workouts I've ever tried. Now, I haven't tried them all, but I've tried several different kinds. I'm not into the bouncing around aerobics stuff. Basic step is about it for me. The Firm combines weights with cardio for an all-over workout. Is it hard? Yep. Is it worth it? Yep.

It's only "hard" if you think, "Oh I can handle a little bit more weight here," and you don't pace yourself. Good luck with the sitting down and standing up the next day. I know I've pushed it when I try to go down the stairs and I worry I might just fall. That, and when shampooing my hair is hard afterward. But do it without any weights the first time, or light weights. I have a pair of 5, 8, and 10 weights, and they suit me well. I should probably have a 3-lb pair, but I don't.

I'm asking for the new Firm set for Christmas because I have the older ones. And while they are VERY effective, I'm getting a little tired of the 80s looks. My favorites are Vol 1 with Susan Harris (except that she isn't wearing a bra under her leotard - yep leotard), and Vol 4 with Susan Harris and Kai something, from the old set. For the most part they aren't real peppy with the attitude, except once when Susan says, "Isn't this better than dieting?!" and I'm swearing at her and saying, "I *AM* dieting!"

The summer after I returned from my study abroad program in the UK (and gained 15 pounds), I did the Firm every other day and did a lot of rollerblading, and over 4 months I lost 20 pounds.

More importantly, I was a lot stronger and toned than I had ever been. Hmmm, after writing this, I've got to say I am REALLY looking forward to getting back into this.

Oh, the only complaint I have is that they don't give you time to drink water, so I just keep a tall glass handy and take gulps here and there. Other than that, I think it's fantastic!

I would definitely recommend trying a tape/DVD. I've seen them at Costco and Target and any fitness store. I just have a step (Sterilite?) and the weights, and a pair of ankle weights (that I haven't used in a long time). To start, I think a 5-lb pair would be enough to give you an idea if it's something you like.

egoldber
12-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the review. By "hard" I meant complicated or needed a lot of specialized equipment. I've seen the set at Target, but I don't know what you really need to get started.

todzwife
12-17-2003, 10:49 PM
It's not hard, but I was a dancer in high school so I pick stuff up pretty fast. That said, the steps aren't complicated even if you aren't a dancer. :) I just have a step stool for the tall part of the fanny lifter. I don't have a short section yet, but I think a regular step aerobics step would be great and much cheaper. I have some 3 and 8 pound weights, but I need some 5 pounders. That's about it. Beth, I think we are in the same place- I am 5'2 and weigh 150 right now and I have a goal weight of 125. I think I remember reading you are a shorty too! LOL! It's really fun and I only did 20 of the 55 minutes (before Dallin decided he was SO done being happy in his bouncy chair)and I sm SO sore! From 20 minutes? Sheesh!

JustMare
12-17-2003, 11:51 PM
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1071719145/ref=sr_1_1/602-3911584-5424641?asin=B000083GKW

Target sells the set for $79.99 and I believe it's all that you need complete in the box. I don't think this particular set uses the weights, they aren't included and are not mentioned in the description.

I've seen The Firm's infomercial and it looks challenging. Not "hard" in the sense to follow, just a really good workout. If your up late you might be able to catch the promos for it. It really describes the entire workout.

JulieL
12-18-2003, 12:47 PM
System 1 and System 2 both use a variety of weights. Although they suggest doing it without weights if you haven't used weights before, just to get a hang of the workout first, or if you have back problems. You need 3, 5, & 8 lb dumbbells for the systems.