PDA

View Full Version : Question for those following the SB diet

cinrein
12-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately for me, my days of eating pretty much whatever I wanted and not gaining weight have come to an end as Anna eats more solids than breastmilk these days. It was fun while it lasted, but now my pants are getting tight! I'm probably going to start the SBD in January.

So is it true that after 2 weeks on Phase I that you no longer crave carbs?

Did anyone do Phase I and not eliminate dairy, or use calcium supplements instead? I am still BFing (a 10 1/2 month old) and getting ready to ttc. Going 2 weeks without calcium doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm a big milk drinker right now--about 16oz a day of 1% plus 1 lowfat yogurt, plus a lot of cheese. I haven't completely read through the book yet, so I apologize if this is answered further on in the book.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

egoldber
12-24-2003, 11:16 PM
Cindy, I am also TTC, and I take a calcium supplement, but I have done thos for years anyway. This is also what Agatson recommends for all women on the diet. If you haven't read the book, I would urge you to before starting. He also recommends that nursing mothers start with Phase 2.

Here's my take on the SB diet. Forget that it is even called a diet. It is better to think about it as a change of eating habits. Before I started this diet, I couldn't imagine a life without carbs. They were the focus of all my meals. What SB has taught me that carbs do NOT have to be at the center, and when I do eat carbs, to choose them wisely. This is common sense, but I needed the book and some hand holding to really "get" that. I didn't think Phase 1 was that bad. It was mainly just REALLY DIFFERENT from what I had typically eaten all my life.

I am now in Phase 2, so I get 2-3 starchy carbs a day. I just make sure they are whole grain. I honestly don't really miss them. The other thing I have learned is that if I start my day with a carb and a fruit (ANY carb and ANY fruit), I am STARVING all day. The difference between days when I eat cereal for breakfast vs eggs, is just astounding to me. So I have found this new way of eating to be great for me.

But definitely read the book and understand the principles before getting started.

HTH,

cinrein
12-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Beth,
Thanks. I do have the book, but haven't made it all the way through yet. I had gestational diabetes during the 3rd trimester of my last pregnancy and was able to control it through diet. That diet (or eating style) is very similar to SB, except for Phase I. My OB told me the day after I delivered Anna that I'll be eating that way during the duration of any future pregnancies, so I figured I might as well get used to it. Plus my Dad is a diabetic and with my GD history, I'm sure I'm one of the pre-diabetes people Agaston refers to in the beginning of the book.

I'm glad I looked into this before I planned on changing my habits because we have a lot of food to get rid of before we can start! :)

Cindy and Anna (2/11/03)

phirey
12-27-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm starting SB on January 2, and I'm going to piggyback another question onto yours, if you don't mind.

I'm a fairly picky eater and really don't like a lot of the foods lined up in the 14 day Phase 1 plan. How much can you mix and match? Can I just eat an assortment of foods from the phase 1 list, or do I need to combine like he does for optimal nutrition?

For example, from days 1 and 2, I HATE vegetable juice and tomato juice. I don't even like quiche, tuna or Canadian bacon. But I'd be fine with scrambled eggs for breakfast. Can I just have them?

What alterations have y'all made?

egoldber
12-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Check out the South Beach Diet forum at prevention.com for tons of great info. But the basic answer is that you can eat whatever you want from the approved food list. Just make sure to eat about the portion sizes listed in the book (i.e., your P1 diet should be VERY heavy of veggies).

HTH,